Learning how to drive stick

SexyStang1994

Founding Member
Jan 18, 2002
Daytona Beach, Florida
Funny stuff!! :rlaugh:

Kyle has been making me drive his car lately and it's been so hilarious. I used to drive my ex-bestfriend's hyundai (4 cyl.) often without any problems, but a king cobra clutch is nothing like that!! It's been like basically re-learning how to drive stick. My calf muscle hurts too lol! But hey, it was worth it cause I'm getting good!! :banana:

• Sponsors (?)

I learned driving stick mainly because of my friend. His sister had a jetta and we took it around the block. I got the hang of it but wasnt all that confident. Then I would practice moving a 1950 packard we had with a column shifter up and down the driveway, that thing had a very very heavy clutch. But I would say most of my stick driving has been through my friend and his car or his relatives cars. Oh yeah and test drives. :nice:

My girl friend claims she can drive a stick too... But the few times I let her try she stalled everytime she went to take off, and everytime she shifted she made the car jerk really bad

I've heard mustang clutches are a bit stiffer and therefore harder to learn on..My friends usually have a bit of trouble adapting to it.. but.. then again I've never driven another manual besides my own?

I taught Laura to drive my car before we went shopping for her stang. I think it took around 8 hours of total driving around town before the had it down. It was pretty funny at first though. I still need to teach her the art of spinning donuts in the grociery store parking lot.

On another note, I drove my brother's Nissan 240 yesterday to Checker to get my rotors turned. It was wierd cause I could push the clutch with my toe really easily. I like our heavy clutches.

Zero Signal said:
I taught Laura to drive my car before we went shopping for her stang. I think it took around 8 hours of total driving around town before the had it down. It was pretty funny at first though. I still need to teach her the art of spinning donuts in the grociery store parking lot.

On another note, I drove my brother's Nissan 240 yesterday to Checker to get my rotors turned. It was wierd cause I could push the clutch with my toe really easily. I like our heavy clutches.

Haha exactly! The clutch on the hyundai I used to drive was like a feather compared to this king cobra clutch lmao! Once you feel where it grabs, you got it made. However, my first couple of times I chirped the tires all the way to second lmao!!!

My current GF used to date a kid that had one of those never should have been made 4 cyl foxes... so she assumed that she knew how to drive a stick. Needless to say mine was a little bit different and I swear to god she took 5000 miles off my tires in about 1/2 and hour.

I really enjoyed it for two reasons though, 1 - it made her really happy and 2 - I knew mine was much bigger then her ex-boyfriends...

yea, my first car was a 1986 acura legend and the clutch was much lighter on that, the stang took getting used to, I stalled out the first few times I drove it. I tried to teach my ex-gf to drive the acura when we were 16, and she got the feet thing down, but I guess wasnt co-ordinated enough to steer and move the shifter at the same time. :shrug: haha I know maybe three girls that can drive a stick. they require a man's touch. haha