LEDs for interior lighting?

• Sponsors (?)

In my opinion fancy electronics have no place on Cobras or Mustangs built prior to 2005, no nav systems, no outside temp readouts, no LEDs, no HIDs, none of that fancy crap.

Fancy crap that makes the car go faster is acceptable however...

I don't know about HIDs being so trendy among the Fast and the Furious ricers. To my understanding the first company to use HIDs was Lincoln with the Mark VIII back in 1996. After that it just became popular among luxury cars. I guess I just prefer modern technology items as I prefer HIDs and LED lights. Iirc, they're supposed to produce more light for less energy and are also more durable. They just add too much $$ to the price tag of a car as opposed to basic lighting.

Op, Unless your car's interior lighting is new, I would just replace the bulbs. Other than that you may want to do some research.

The HID lights just glare into oncomming drivers. This is primarily the aftermarket junk, but factory stuff is almost as bad.

As for the LEDs, there is no way they make more usable light that the regular bulbs. The colors are more bold, but thats it from what I have seen. A friend of mine put a white LED in his dome light and it does not illuminate the interior well at all. I have seen the same on a few other cars. There may be better LEDs but I just don't think its worth it.

I also hate the "false" colors from HID and LED. I just find it irritating.

Like I said, I wasn't too sure but they do last longer and use less energy. I know many cities have switched to using LEDs on traffic lights and many other places.

As for the HIDs, they're designed from the factory to not blind oncoming drivers. If they are coming on too bright it's probably because one of your ricer boys decided to go all out. I usually only get bothered by oncoming trucks that are jacked up.

Like I said, I wasn't too sure but they do last longer and use less energy. I know many cities have switched to using LEDs on traffic lights and many other places.

As for the HIDs, they're designed from the factory to not blind oncoming drivers. If they are coming on too bright it's probably because one of your ricer boys decided to go all out. I usually only get bothered by oncoming trucks that are jacked up.

THey still glare even on the high end cars and they change colors as you approach them. Its just distracting and annoying.

The problem that I see with LEDs is that they are very directional. They have no real glow. Go by a house during the holidays that has LED Christmas lights. They all look like dots of bright light.

Where I work, some of our interior lights are LEDs. They are formed into a cluster and are at various angles, kind of like one third of a softball with protruding lights with a lens covering the whole thing. They are very bright, almost to the point of being annoying. There is nothing soft or very natural about them.

I could see them as map-lights, as their brightness would be of some advantage. Other than that, I really don't think much of them.

:nice::flag: