Let's see some Fox restorations.

• Sponsors (?)

from this...

P1010583.jpg

P1010555.jpg

to this....

f481.jpg

Aaron:

Being from Buffalo, can I ask what issue you have run into, if any, with rust starting to creep up? I am in Geneva, and have started to see a few areas of surface rust starting. How have you been able to combat this?

Your car looks great. I have been a fan now for a few years!!

Thanks for teh compliments!

When I bought the car 6 years ago, it had a bit of rust, door dings, scratches, etc. I had teh whole car stripped down (as you can see) and had it repainted.

Today the car ONLY comes out when it's nice out and rarely at that. I probably put 1000 miles a year on her. Because of that, the paint looks like it did when I had it painted.

My car see's the same amount of action as yours a year. Pretty sad that I cannot drive it more, but that's how it is.

How do you store your car in the winter? I have owned my car for 11 years, and it has only seen rain a handful of times. I am noticing that I am getting a little surface rust in the common areas. The car is currently minus the fenders, doors, and rear end. The rest of the drive train will be coming out soon for an engine bay weldup. I think I am seeing the surface rust issue due to the moisture the car endures during storage in the spring when the air gets warm. The garage floor is concrete, and it stays cool in there.

Do you have any tips for storage?

Hmmm - you're scaring me a bit. I don't do anything special at all!
Literally, I pull the car in with a full tank of gas, a fresh oil change and a good wash/wax, throw some STA-BIL in the tank and pull the battery. I don't use a car cover or anything and it's all good...for me at least. Now you're making me wonder though!

One of my friends bought a '93 LX off a guy in Rochester a while back. The car had 34,000 miles on it, and was completely mint. Absolutely no rust anywhere. The guy told us a trick he used for storing a car on a cement garage floor was to put cardboard under the car, and split open a few big bags of BBQ grill charcoal to collect any moisture present. My friend didn't do this. After 2 years of sitting in the garage with minimal driving, (2,000 miles in 5 years), he had rust appear on the floor boards. Another friend has an '88 LX with over 100,000 miles on it, that he drives quite often to work, and also in the rain. He religioulsly puts the charcoal and cardborad down, during storage, and he has zero rust on the car.

I did not use the charcoal method either. I am wondering if this really works, or this is just coinicidence?

You mentioned that the car had a bit of rust previously. Do you mind if I ask where? I have noticed some behind the door hinges on mine, and a little in the frame rail/strut tower area. This is in process of being fixed now. But I am trying to prvent any further issues.