lifter issues

i just rebuilt the engine in my 93 cobra and used new gt-40x aluminum heads and a b303 cam. i used the 1.7 rr's and the push rods from the original engine. the block wasn't decked and i made sure the pushrods were the correct length and also checked valve/piston clearance before assembling just incase. everything looked great. after i got it all put back together and driving it there was slight lifter clatter on start up but would go away after it was warm. i figured that would be good and would go away after the valves seated and such, but after putting about 1k miles across country in it, it started having some pretty major idle issues. the clatter started to get a lot louder and i had to park it and trailer it the rest of the way home. i pulled the valve covers off and it seems as tho all of my lifters are bled down. in fact it looks like all the valves are closed on both sides with everything installed and tight.

so i guess my question is has anyone seen this type of problem before?
can the stock lifters handle the new cam and stiffer valve springs?
do you think the cam has been damaged by the clatter?

i was thinking it may be related to an oil issue with one of the small freeze plugs behind the timing cover coming out or maybe the one at the back of the block near the pcv valve but i am not sure and i would rather not have to completely take apart the whole motor again. if anyone could shed any type of light on this or maybe something i may have missed it would help out a ton and give me some direction! :(

• Sponsors (?)