Lighted Cruise control buttons.

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I was wondering if the lighted cruise control buttons of a Ford explorer could be swapped into the Mustang. Is the wiring present that will allow them to light up when you flip the lights on??

The Explorers buttons look exactly like the Mustangs except the light up green at night

• Sponsors (?)

Good idea. :nice:

It may be possible if you yanked your steering wheel off and replaced all the cruise control circuit/button/etc with the Explorer, although I've never compared the two so who knows if their compatible with one another. I'd be surprised if anyone here has tried this, so I doubt we'll the answer. Guinea pig needed. :)

Shouldn't be too hard to swap over the button covers if they're the same size, and run a small wire up the steering column from the fuse panel to a small LED... Wanna see this on in action though ;)

i've thought about this while back. here is what i figured. I do trust that assembly would bolts up. And would be great if harness is same. prolly have to hard wire it to existing wires from our car. But there is extra wire(s) comming off of C/C bottun assembly that feeds LED. Now Mustang does not have this wire. and i'm not sure how to run extra wire(which is easy enough to get power for the bottun) through steering hub, as it uses special assembry th at allows you to turn steering wheel without wires binding up. see the pic below i took when i swapped steering wheel

View attachment 509983

Yellow wire with Brown connecter is SRS feed, and one with black connecter is for the C/C. under the black plastic(or was it metal? i can't remeber) is mechanism that allows you to turn wheel without getting these wire bind up. if i can figure that part out, i can locate wrecked SUV, and try them. i like lighted switches. I also liketo swap their lighted window switches in to my car as well

I was thinking the same thing. I'd like to swap the lighted switches and CC buttons over. I was hoping ford would have make it easy and had the wiring already present and only needing to be hooked up, but i guess not.

Might be too much trouble to go through to do this.

I compared the Explorer and Mustang 2001 wiring diagrams. Ford taps into the horn circuit to steal a small current to operate LEDs in the switch. The current is too low to operate the horn relay. So you don't have to add new wires to do this. One impediment to using the Explorer switch assembly "as is", is that it differs electrically from the Mustang one. You would have to change the resistors inside the switch to the Mustang values.

Adding illumination to the window and lock switches is a little less daunting. See:
http://members.cox.net/n0v8or/index.htm for an example.

http://members.cox.net/n0v8or/index.htm

I drew it with Microsoft Visio. I chose not to run the LEDs from the adjustable dash illumination circuit because that involved running another wire up into the doors. The lock/unlock switch remains lit for ~20 seconds after turning off the ignition, to make it easier to locate the unlock (and why it is yellow instead of green).