Lightning blower on a 4.6

LT1Slayer

Founding Member
Sep 28, 2002
Tulsa, OK
My buddy with a lightning just got a KB blowzilla. I know people have talked about the m112 on a 4.6 SOHC but does anyone know exactly whats required or anyone who has done this? Its probably not too easy. Just seems like a waste having a blower sitting there doing nothing :D

• Sponsors (?)

Well anyway, here was my idea. Get a 4" cowl and have the intake runners machined down to fit the deck height of the 4.6. Then get an 03 cobra pump/tank. Have a chip tuned for it. Also can I buy an 03 cobra snout and swap them so its not so tall and the snout isnt on the top but rather on the side like my 03? Any info would be great, the charger is free so this project will be cheap lol.

I would contact either Roush or Saleen to see if their lower intake would work with the M112. Anything else that would be close would be the 03 cobra lower, which I am sure isn't even close.

After you clear up getting the air from the charger to the heads then you have to think about getting the air to the supercharger, while all your wiring for your intake is on the passenger side.

You would be much further ahead to just get yourself a blower for your car, or buy a lightning longblock.

Later
Jason

Neither Roush or Saleen will sell just there intakes. Your going to either have an intake made or buy a whole kit and adapt the blower. If the latter ended up being the case buy a KB and be done with it.

This untill recently was my dream till I saw the pictures....

:bang: Man I don't know what kind of hood could contain one of those 5.4l lightning engines. that looks like a full six inches over the hood. I know you could find someone to fabricate a different intake on te end of the SC to turn it towards the passenger side. Grant this is a 98 gt I think. but it is about the same.

Attachments

• i-5.jpg
    i-5.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 306
You could just notch the hood right? I mean whats the downside to that? Water wouldnt hurt the engine or anything, I dont think it'd be a problem if you put a nice rubber o ring around it and maybe painted the center to make it look nice.

If this is the same car, I believe he tore it up at Darlington Gragway at Myrtle beach. He had to get a custom hoodscoop done to get the engine covered. And remember, those L's have auto trannys and you will have to get a tune so that the computer wont retard the timing when it's looking for the auto tranny to shift.

FastRedPonyCar said:
Get ya a 5.4L motor and it'll go right on :) Actually, I think I remember some dude at the corral doing this. The heads are different so that's the big issue.

The heads are identical to the 4.6L heads...its in the intake design thats so different. Also, the block causes the deck height to be higher and forces you to use a different K-member to fit under your stock hood.

kirkyg

XtorT'r said:
:bang: Man I don't know what kind of hood could contain one of those 5.4l lightning engines. that looks like a full six inches over the hood. I know you could find someone to fabricate a different intake on te end of the SC to turn it towards the passenger side. Grant this is a 98 gt I think. but it is about the same.

THAT IS NUTS!!!!!!!!!!:jaw:

I have a 99 with a cobra R hood. Thats a 3" cowl and i was thinking i would have no problem putting a lightning motor under it but now that i see that pic i think im going to have to cut a big old hole in my hood. :notnice: Does anyone know if it would not stick up quite so high in a 99+

kirkyg said:
The heads are identical to the 4.6L heads...its in the intake design thats so different. Also, the block causes the deck height to be higher and forces you to use a different K-member to fit under your stock hood.

kirkyg

So what kinda obstacles are stopping people from putting the blowzilla on stangs? All petty differences like intake direction and height aside, are the lightning blowers different in how many liters they are or what?

Well the obstacle is they aren't mounted the same. The 2.2L kit is for an already intercooled setup. Until kb designs an intercooled setup then we wont be able to just use the 2.2L with an intercooler even if you can have a custom intake made to fit the 2.2L (which would be very expensive).

kirkyg