Light's work but when i try to start battery dies?

1qckFOX

Jan 1, 2004
Does anyone think they know what the problem is i think it's the altnerator. The battery seems too be fine ebcause the lights will turn on and the radio will work but then when i turn the key it gives one little try and the lights just cut off? anyone think they know?

• Sponsors (?)

hook a battery charger up or a jumper battery (like a jump start) - your battery could be half dead. the starter requires much more amperage than headlights (the flaw of that test - you gotta leave the headlights on for a little bit to see if them dim).

the stock charging system sucks and leaving a door open for an hour (interior light) while workin on it can make it too weak to start. or if you have a short and dont drive it everyday.....

just my thoughts. good luck.

Try replacing your battery cables, I had this same problem and when I replaced the cables all was fine, and I have left all of my lights on for 7 hours (normal school day) and still had just enough juice to start it. But I also have a 140 amp alt and a good battery.

the positive cable goes like a foot to the starter relay pretty much right next to the battery, and the negative mounts under your power steering pump, and also the pigtail goes to a spot next to the battery, took me like 20 minutes

Kiknads said:
the positive cable goes like a foot to the starter relay pretty much right next to the battery, and the negative mounts under your power steering pump, and also the pigtail goes to a spot next to the battery, took me like 20 minutes
Thanks

sounds like a bad ground to me. I would first check all connections for continuity, then proceed to check the wires and terminals for any signs of corrsion and oxidization after a conductor becomes oxidizes it acts as an insulator and the rho or resistivity becomes greatly increased, greatly deminishing the properties and perfomance of that wire or connector. Sometimes when a wire looks good you might want to take a look inside the insulation and can find it to be heavely oxidized.