Living in the rust zone blues...

RIO5.0

15 Year Member
Feb 16, 2001
N.H.
Another New England salt casualty heads for the crusher.... I bought my 99 Tacoma in to the yoda dealership for a free undercoating....due to rusty frames on these trucks....Low and behold I get a call around noon saying my truck failed their frame inspection....:mad: The mechanic submitted paperwork for Toyota to buy it back....:D

Since I happen to like these mini pick-ups I found a N Carolina truck and bought that last night...unbelievable the difference in the underneath..

I should get around 11-12k from Toyota for the buyback and scored this one for 8k... I'll get the same deal from Toyota on this one.

92k and pretty much mint...
054.jpg

The "hole" they made swinging a 16 oz ball-peen.
059.jpg

The same yr new one...
052.jpg

061.jpg

Frame on the new one...same spot as mine rusted...and this has 150k on it.
063.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Ya your in a salt pit to....hate that chit...it destroys everything...The Black truck had 58k and the frame was damn solid 3 yrs ago when I bought it....3 N.E. Winters and she's done. Although Toyota made some cheesy, thin frames and the salt just ate em in no time... Luckily they backed them up warranty wise. They sent chitloads of these Tacoma's to the crusher.

My Mustang was damn solid and I never drove it in the Winters or it would be assed out by now. Once the stuff starts your pretty much done.

The ocean is just a few miles from me so I know all about rusty vehicles, most older cars have it.

Yours is really nasty, just looks unsafe. Good score on the new and making a couple of bucks too.

Still jealous of your lift.

That sucks about the black truck, having such low mileage. The new one looks nice though, and at least parts are plentiful, so keeping it running forever is probably going to cost no more than any other car would. The higher mileage would worry me more than anything else.

I drove the Mustang through four years of Chicago winters, but it hasn't seen snow since 2003. Even still, there's enough rust underneath that it needs a good wire brushing and POR15 job. I'd like to replace my fuel and brake lines from front to back, as they're all rusty, too. One day I'll have a garage as sweet as yours, with access to the underside of my car while standing. One day... :)

When it snows here, they don't have any salt or grit, you just don't go anywhere. Last time it snowed it took them 2 days to truck grit in from Dublin, GA.

Kurt

When it snows here, they don't have any salt or grit, you just don't go anywhere. Last time it snowed it took them 2 days to truck grit in from Dublin, GA.

Kurt

lol.. yeah. When I was in Saint Louis all winter if it even snowed a 1/4" EVERYTHING except the bars were shut down.. The night before they would come around and put an inch of salt on the roads for a 1/4 dusting of snow.. It was hilarious..

We use Magnesium Chloride on our roads or a vegetable oil mix.. As long as you don't let it sit on your car for weeks, you'll be ok, otherwise it will cause minute surface rusting to stainless parts like rocker panels, etc...

My mustang doesn't leave the driveway if the roads are wet and I don't give two ****s about my sebring so my car will stay rust free for years to come :D