Lock wire head gaskets & head bolt step washers

86T-Top

Founding Member
Jun 29, 2001
Dublin, PA
So I order a set of head gaskets from summit that I thought were lock wire (part# FMS-M-6051-A302). Anyway when I got them it doesn't look like they have a lock wire on them, they look like a normal set of head gaskets. Now I have never seen a lock wire head gasket so I could be missing something here, but the heads gasket I got have a fire ring on it and on one side it is raised a little bit. Is that the lock wire? I was expecting a copper wire that was raised about an 1/8".

What does a lock wire head gasket look like? I am trying to get a head gasket for my edelbrock 60289 heads, will the one I have work? If not which ones will?

I also order a set of trick flow step washers for my heads. They don't exactly fit into my head all the way. The step washer goes in about a 1/4 of the way, and then the rest of it will need to be pressed in. Is this right or are they supposed to just slip right in. I wanted to check first b4 I press them in my heads and find out I f'ed something up.

Thanks,

Mario

• Sponsors (?)

The Fel-Pro Locwire gaskets have a rasied ring around the bore, it is PT# 1006 your heads must have the matching recieving groove to make them work, which the 60289 do...

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&part=FPP-1006

The Ford gasket you reference above is not correct FMS-M-6051-A302.

The reducers will press in tight, put the head on the motor over the studs then put the washers on, you can use a socket to tap them down, if you are using head bolts tap them in first.