Locking Gas Door doesn't work....

Ohio 1989GT

May 25, 2003
Chillicothe
Whenever I push the button in the glovebox nothing happens. I'm guessing that there is an electric motor bad, but how hard is it to fix, is it expensive, and am I totally wrong. I'm tired of pulling the cord in my hatch every time I get gas.

• Sponsors (?)

not a motor. It's just a solenoid. I've never replaced one though, just remoed it. I don't imagine it would be too expensive but I'd check power to the one that's in there before I went about changing it.

right on Daggar. it is very possible that the button in the glove box went south. put a test light on the connector and see if you have 12 volts coming out of the button when it is pressed. you can also check the continuity of the switch too.

go from there. good luck.

super302 said:
i think your ignition has to be on eather ACC or ON posistion.

Just for the hatch.

Mine died as well, but it was the fuse.

I removed the little bracket on the door that locks it so I don't have to bother with it anymore, anyone could break the lock just by pulling, and it's more of an inconveniance to me than anything :p

snakestang03 said:
Just for the hatch.

Mine died as well, but it was the fuse.

I removed the little bracket on the door that locks it so I don't have to bother with it anymore, anyone could break the lock just by pulling, and it's more of an inconveniance to me than anything :p

Ditto :stupid:

You should be hooking up some Naws or something, not fooling with that thing. Just take the latch off and throw it away as was stated above. Get a locking gas cap if you are worried about tampering or someone stealing your fuel. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ok, signing off for now. :D