Long Tube Header Install

MikeysOTP

Mar 29, 2007
Any of you do-it-yourselfers installed longtubes yet? My car is laid up for the winter so I have plenty of time to do the job, and I like doing my mods myself when I can. Are there any special tools needed or any really tough parts to the install?

I want to go with an offroad h-pipe, not an x-pipe, and I am leaning toward the JBAs. Should I go with the 3 inch collectors and H-pipe or the 2.5 inch? They also offer stainless, silver ceramic, or titanium coated. Any thoughts on these or any other brands? I wish someone would dyno all of them side by side, that would be awesome.

My only experience with installing coated headers was at 19 years old on my 79 Camaro. The white ceramic coating got dirty and chipped by the time I got them in and they were a mess. I was thinking about just getting the stainless ones, my car only goes out in good weather so that should help too right?

• Sponsors (?)

JBA stainless, ceramic coated LT's are not white. They look like metal and the finish holds up well. The install isn't bad at all. You'll have to remove one of the steering rack bolts and loosen the other, jack up the passenger's side of the engine a bit. Every header bolt can be tightened with a box end wrench except one bolt near the middle of the passenger's side which can be tightened with a long extension and a swivel socket or u-joint. Just make sure you start the engine, get it hot, lt it cool, then go over the bolts a second time.

I think I found a good deal on the JBA long tubes with an off road h-pipe to go with it. Anyone know how this will sound in relation to my stock exhaust I have now with just the off road h-pipe? I am hoping it will be louder but have the same overall sound since I am still going to have an h-pipe (although different) and the stock axle back setup.

BTW, why are the MAC headers so much cheaper, I really like JBA but the price of the MACs is enticing.

2 1/2" collectors, unless you plan on going FI, if FI than get 3". The install is fairly strait forward, but every install is a little different for whatever reason. On mine I had a complete bitch of a time getting the passenger header in place, everything else was smooth as butter.

I had the OBX (JBA knock-offs) with an offroad-H and stock axel-backs, sounded like ass IMHO. Really trumpety and a little raspy. The nice thing about it is that it's very quite unless you get in it, no waking up the neighbors at 3 am like I do with my Pypes mid muffler setup. I'm actually going to switch to the OBX H-pipe with the resonators in it to see if that doesn't tame my current setup.
Dan

EDIT: I would also suggest getting some stiff motor mounts to put in while your at it.