Long Tube or Short Tube?

Ok they can put downn numbers on a dyno how about performing with other stage 2 cams? There are companies stage 1 cams out performing hitechs stage 2s. Dyno number are not what I live by, I could care less if the car put down 50hp I would be happy of it would et what I want it to. So back to my piont where hitech are a larger stage 1 cam that is advertised as a stage 2.

I agree one hundred percent..

BTW Shorties are pointless.. I have them on my car now only because they came with the car when I bought it..

They will get tossed out when I do my heads and cams.. but that might be awhile since the cams I am looking at need notches in the pistons or atleast valves with thinner faces

• Sponsors (?)

Look I see the point in making the 20 extra hp, but weres that at? Around 4000rpm and up? I don't know, but last I checked, I don't go stop light to stop light wide a** open. And I dang sure aint takin my car to the autobahn, and very seldom race it. Most of my mods are for the woa facter.

now now guys we all know its best to save up the money and do everything at once because most parts for our 4.6s need another part to get the full potenial example cams and headers but as mustang owerners we love buying stuff for our cars even if its for something that we dont need like a 40 dollar gear **** knob lol but i do agree with everyone the shorties are good for sound but long tubes for power and even if its only 20 hp its worth it we need all the help we can get with the new 5.0 comming out but its still cheaper then buying one of them

Look I see the point in making the 20 extra hp, but weres that at? Around 4000rpm and up?

Did you read my post? As in, the part in bold here?

-You are getting a SOLID 15-20 ft-lbs of torque across the band.

And that is a known fact. Every before and after dyno I've seen of long tubes, there is a 15ish ft-lbs increase from 2000 rpm up through 6000 rpm. Not 4000 rpm up.

Most of my mods are for the woa facter.

:rolleyes:

Every car peaks at a different rpm, but what sneaky and the rest of us are trying to say is it gives you more hp and tq across the whole board:bang:
And with your mods you will not see a 15 hp gain from a "canned" tune unless you are running on race fuel.. I dont know though because you VTAKK might kick in with your shorty headers on

I have them sitting in my garage now waiting to go on when I get my ported heads. I will tell you how I like them. Your going to call me out when you can't get a P.I motor with bolt ons and gears into the 13s oh wait the 8s in the 1/8 mile. You couldn't even beet my cousins jr dragster in the 1/8, so don't try bustin my balls

Yeah man, listen you came on here for help between the Shortie and the LT, and you got your answer, EVERYONE says the the LT is better in flow, sound and power. Why the hell argue, better yet, if you already knew what you were going with why the hell ask it, you got your answer, and for some reason you hate the answer you were given, and yet you dont get what all these guys are saying when it comes to power accross the whole entire RPM band, Do i have LT's No i dont but im also not looking to drag up and down D.P.A or 347 on LI, If i do get headers i will prolly go S/T just for sound and looks, worked on my Tbird.

I cant believe this thread is still going...If your going to do headers do LT, otherwise dont do them at all. Why are you bitching about the cost? since when was moding a car cheap? The Original question was "Is their a Difference?" not what costs more....

The sound difference is almost un noticable. It's like the SOTP meter, it's all in your head. Had shorties on more than one 2v. A change in mufflers will effect the sound X100 more than replacing the manifolds.

well ninjastang, if LTs are such a great upgrade. were yours, i dont see them in your list of mods.

No need to attack Ninja. He is actually one of the few hard core NA 2v guys that race, and post times and gains here with each mod. He helps a lot of guys out. A lot of the bad ass 2v guys left this site because of people attacking them when they didn't know what they were talking about.

If you are happy with your shorties, then fine. But they don't do anything for HP and the sound is so minimal that it is not worth it to the average guy.

i must say i hear alot of people not thinking shortys are worth any thing but it is to each there own. i make over 500 with shortys and the only reason i have them is cause i pull my tranz out more often to swap clutches and it is much easier to get my motor out with shortys. if you stay n/a or n02 i would say run long tubes and move the o2 bung up one of the runners so it is closer to the head. i guess it is to each there own on this and mine is cause shortys make my life easy. i could care less about 10-20 extra hp on my car

i must say i hear alot of people not thinking shortys are worth any thing but it is to each there own. i make over 500 with shortys and the only reason i have them is cause i pull my tranz out more often to swap clutches and it is much easier to get my motor out with shortys. if you stay n/a or n02 i would say run long tubes and move the o2 bung up one of the runners so it is closer to the head. i guess it is to each there own on this and mine is cause shortys make my life easy. i could care less about 10-20 extra hp on my car

thank you stal94gt thats my point also they get in the way more than anything, grant it i dont change my clutch as often as my underwear its already crowded under the car dont need nothin else gettin the way and ninja, i dont race my DD as often as i want. im sure with a lttle effort and tinkerin its possible that i could go high 8s; but the best so far is 9.1s. :nonono:

so stal94 you are saying that shorties gave you a gain of 300hp. I'm pretty sure there is boost involved in your situation. But with long tubes you would have more power. I understand what you are talking about taking the trans out as well but let's face it who is really pulling there trans out more then once a year to change out clutches. And if you are I suggest going to an automatic

so stal94 you are saying that shorties gave you a gain of 300hp. I'm pretty sure there is boost involved in your situation. But with long tubes you would have more power. I understand what you are talking about taking the trans out as well but let's face it who is really pulling there trans out more then once a year to change out clutches. And if you are I suggest going to an automatic

i never said i would not gain some power with them i said my life is easyer with shortys. i do run boost on a built motor and giving up power at my levels for my daily driver is really not that big of a deal. i ran stock long tubes for a while but messed them up by bottoming out my car. went back to stock manifolds and really did not loose much so when i swapped my motor it was much easier to go shortys. im still up in the air about auto i like driving stick just has some draw backs aka new clutch every year which is my choice cause i like to run my car alot