Longtubes OR Shorties

HKYBUM33

Jun 11, 2003
Longtubes OR Shorties ?

I have a 99 GT 5spd with a MAC catback and a MAC hi flow catted h-pipe. My car is also lowered 2" in the front with H&R supersport springs. I dont plan on getting a supercharger, although I am looking at different cam options for the near future. The thing is I want to buy some headers but I'm not sure if I should get longtubes or shorties. BBK ceramic coated for longtubes or FRPP stainless shorties. I just have a few questions.

1) Would the longtubes be worth it ?
2) would they make my exhaust sound better and louder ?
3) would I have any clearance issues being lowered 2" in the front ?
4) Are shorty headers even worth the hassel ?
5) should I save this money for some head work and cams ?

sorry for all the questions but I just want to make the right decision. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

First things first, if you have emissions checks in your county you may want to forget about long tubes altogether. If I'm wrong correct me, but some shorties are CARB legal I believe. Whether they're worth it or not is up for debate.

Yeah there is emissions testing every 2 years, but no visual just sniffer and I have heard quite a few guys locally with longtubes not having any problems as long as they had 2 working cats.

HKYBUM33 said:
Yeah there is emissions testing every 2 years, but no visual just sniffer and I have heard quite a few guys locally with longtubes not having any problems as long as they had 2 working cats.

well then whats going to give you more power?

LTs with cats or shorties /w no cats