Looking at a Griffin radiator... any imput would help

• Sponsors (?)

I have one. Its a little tight, but it will fit. I had to do a little body work, but after that it slid right in. Even the stock mounts work, both upper and lower. I didn't have any cooling problems when I installed it, so I can't testify to its cooling efficiency, but it has to be more efficient then the stock part.

I have one in my 93. I reused my stock mounts both upper and lower but it took a little thinking about the best way to do it.

The only thing that I had to do was to flip the lower radiator hose around and shorten it up a little. The lower rad outlet is larger than stock and pointed at a little of an angle.

Overall a good rad. I have had mine for about a year and half now and no probs. Keeps the car nice and cool runs at 185* in the middle of summer in traffic with the a/c on.

I have one on my 90... It's a nice radiator... Just no "lip" on the top for the stock fan shroud, and the outlet of the radiator is angled toward the passanger side (like already said), you have to cut the stock hose and turn it around... it's a major PITA! If I could go back in time, I would have spent more for a direct fit, and saved the hassle... ALSO.. there is NO drain plug on the radiator, so you HAVE to pull the lower hose to get the coolant out. Pain in the ass. But, IT DOES COOL VERY WELL!

Yes, it cools really good on the highway. I have it.

One of my best mods, you just have to push the a/c lines out just a bit (easily done with the hand), hammer out the radiator supports (I used the stock rubber), and flip the bottom hose around and trim it to not kink. It was easy for me...but...it was a great deal for the price IMO.

Good Luck with it!

Rick.

I believe this is the one he is looking at.
gri-1-26272-x_w.jpg

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=GRI-1-26272-X&N=115&autoview=sku

It is a universal one. 31 X 19.

$189.00

Attachments

• gri-1-26272-x_w.jpg
    gri-1-26272-x_w.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 211
I have also heard of fit problems with Griffin. I have an Afco and it looks like a quality piece but i have not installed it. I think I might go drop it in my 88 tomorrow just to see how it fits.

I will also be running an Afco in my FFR. :D

Cliff :)

Summit has a direct fit griffin for $189, it's not int the online catalog, but it is in the catalog. Not sure the thickness, but it is for a mustang.
I was going to get it, instead i decided to spend $60 more and get the FMS aluminum with the plastic tanks.

Daggar said:
Dag, if you were speaking to me, here's the Part number:
GRI-7-479BC-FXX And FAX for the one with the trans cooler. For the Griffen of course.

And for the Ford Racing:M-8005-C 1979-93 Mustang

I typed the griffin number into the summit search box, and on that page it says universal, but in the catalog it says 79-93 mustang. It's in about all summit catalogs i have, which is alot. In most catalogs its in the seperate section right under the summit radiators.

I know Griffin works well regardless of thickness, i've seen my buddy use them on cars at his shop that need a slim design for clearance reasons. One was a car that made over 600 to the wheels and had A/C. With the big pro charger kit with the intercooler. They even had to use very thin electric fans.

N8Miller said:
yes, but its another $45 shipping. for that total price, i can get the FMS one.
True, but the FMS one has plastic tanks, not welded/epoxied.

They are $259.99 through Jegs or similar and with shipping and handling I think it will work out to more than you think.

Even if they were priced equal I would still go with the one on ebay.

I wouldn't worry about the plastic tanks. BD has used them for some time now, and it's just like any other real ford part, built to last.
If i'm not mistaken all the cobras have ford radiators with plastic tanks. And alot of these are cooling cars with 500+hp with and the cars keep cool like they are factory stock.

The Griffin does have a small lip, but I was able to bolt my fan on using 4 6mm bolts on top and 4 on the bottom.
The hose outlets are bit bigger, but stock hoses work fine, it just takes a little WD40 to get them on.
The only downside is no drain. But you can just pop the bottom hose off no problem. It will slip right back on. Its the upper hose that is a little tougher to install.