Looking for impressive N/A power in a '96-'98

StangJonGT

Founding Member
Jun 2, 2001
Seattle
I am considering going the N/A route with a '96-'98 GT, obviously using the P.I. heads, however. I am wondering who has done this and what is out there. I know there are stages of porting and cams for these heads, but I wish to know how high these things can go (hp wise and rpm wise) with the available parts. Anybody got some input on their car or others?

Jon

• Sponsors (?)

Did anybody read that article in the new 5.0? The 4.6 dyno test article? I like that tuner's way of thinking; I want something a bit more radical for a V8, something of a revver and breather. The problem is, I haven't really been in the 4.6 market. I don't know it very well. Has any work been done in the extreme mod area for these engines?

Jon

Let me help you out with the 4.6 alittle. Your going to need to spend alot more money to make it fast. :nonono: If you have the 96-98 year your going to need to spend even more money. 99+ 4.6s are a lot better and faster.

Don't bother comparing power and hp with the late model 4.6 with other motors like 5.0, 03 4v, LS1, etc.. . You will get disappointed. I love the 4.6 motor, i just wish i had more money to keep it.

Get stage 2 ports heads
Custom cams
best intake you can find for the 4.6.
Full exhaust
gear <with a gear the computer will read less horse power just letting u know and yea it doesn't give you hp but makes your car move better.>
steed timing
big injectors
T-body
Finally a really good tune

You will be over 300 RWHP easy. Want to go faster 75shot of juice you'll be happy for 3-6 months till you pop a piston.

Even without the juice you will pop a pistion or head gasket. Like i said you are going to need a lot of money.

This is my dyno graph NA still untuned (mods below excluding the NOS)

attachment.php

StangJonGT said:
Hey Ken, what are your shift points?

Jon

I shift at 6500 only because I'm on the stock shortblock and the rods would not hold up if I spun it much higher. The car is still making 300rwhp+ at 6500. If the shortblock was built I'd be shifting alot higher.

I'm selling my heads and cams and Fox Lake is building a new longblock for me. We are going to spin it to the moon and be the first 2VNA in the 10's :)

Ken

If money isn't a problem, checkout the SVO heads for 96-98 mustangs. They flow better than the P.I. heads straight out of the box, even better if port/polished. Steeda carry's them (www.steeda.com), but they cost an arm and a leg so most people stick with the P.I.'s They'll even work with the 99's as long as you use the FRPP heads in conjunction.

I talked with a couple of people from SHM about how high the cammer could rev. With the best bits in the motor; forged crank and pistons, billet rods, race valve springs, stainless valves and longer duration cams (so the lobes are smoother, helps the valves to not float) the pakage could do 9000+ rpm. Those bits are a serious investment though.