Looking forward to the Vert...

GusinCA

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2002
Newport Beach
Now, call me old fashioned, but a true sports car has no roof... :)

A few questions:

When will the new GT vert be in showrooms, and will it be a 2005 or a 2006?

Will the new vert have rollover protection, pop-up or fixed?

Will there ever be an option to order IRS with the GT, and if not, how much do you suppose it would cost to retrofit from an SVT down the line?

And, just out of curiosity, why doesn't the GTO come in a vert? It seems like if you want a four-seater vert with RWD and decent power, the Mustang GT is the only choice (unless you can afford a CLK500 or an M3).

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Job1 Date is January 31st, I believe. I will probably order on to replace my 2000 GT Convertible, though the roof lines of the '05 coupes look soooo good I don't know if I can't butcher it with the black soft top.

kirka said:
Job1 Date is January 31st, I believe. I will probably order on to replace my 2000 GT Convertible, though the roof lines of the '05 coupes look soooo good I don't know if I can't butcher it with the black soft top.

Correct! Job 1 is slated for January 31. Expect to see them appear on dealer lots 3 weeks after that.

ice1874193 said:
how much slower are the verts from the coupe

If you are asking that question, a vert probably isn't for you. Yes, it is slower, but by about as much as an AT to MT is. Which is to say, barely noticeable on the street. A vert is much more about cruising, not 10/10's driving.

I really like verts also - but in my case I am using rationalization (I do that sometimes) on myself.

The roof line on the 05 is making it much easier for me to "don't even think about a vert" but the fact is - I am on my motorcycle all the time and I have a cool little twin engine Sea-Doo boat.

So I say to myself "Ron you have two open air toys already and the vert cost more".

This may or may not work lol. The first few test will be when I see some really sharp 05 verts.

I "measure" vert looks on all cars (except two seaters) with the top up. I personally don't think 4 seaters look all that great with the top down.

During nice weather I do a lot of people watching (cars - girls - dogs in cars and little kids waving at my motorcycle) I have seen a zillion Mustangs <04 over the last several months. In my mind's eye the Mustang verts "need" that roll bar to look right with the top down - the ones without that bar really don't look all that good to me. The 05 may be different with the top down - but I doubt it.

tarch at school said:
i am guessing the new suspension is even better than the cobra IRS suspension
my guess as well since the irs in the cobra was itself a retrofit! ford didnt design the current mustang to ever have an irs it was an afterthought! hopefully this time they took it into consideration since the cobra has been using irs for a few years now! why go back to a solid axle in the cobra after giving people an irs!

I have an 05 GT. When I comitted to it I was going to trade it in on a vert. But the lines of the coupe looks so good I am no longer certain. Im thinking now that I should trade it in on a new Saleen. Or maybe trade the 99 Saleen Speedster in on a new one and keep the 05 coupe. Decisions....decisions....

GusinCA said:
But do you guys know if they will be 2005 or 2006 models?

Someone posted here that they already have a VIN assigned for their conv which in on order, and that it is a 2005 VIN. If they are being truthful, that answers the question.

Though, personally, since this would be the first new car introduced after January in many, many years that didn't have the next model year assigned it to, it would be quite inconsistent for Ford.

GT-03 said:
Someone posted here that they already have a VIN assigned for their conv which in on order, and that it is a 2005 VIN. If they are being truthful, that answers the question..

My dealer told me it will be a mid year 05 model. I guess that means 2005.5 like the 1964.5 stang.

2000 White Vert

I am a hardtop man by nature, but have always wanted a 'vert. I'm waiting until close to 2010 for a Cobra, so I will be able to make my decision by then whether I want a vert' or hardtop.

Answers to a couple of questions posted in here:

1) The new Mustang's suspension is the reverse of the old Stangs. This time, the chassis was designed from the ground up for IRS and the live axle is the retrofit. Pretty safe to say, the SVT will have IRS.

2) There is no rollbar protection from Ford for the verts. A fixed position roll bar is speculated to be a dealer installed option. There are, of course, aftermarket options.

3) The vert is of course slower. Drastic? No. Noticable? Yes. The vert is got more weight because of all the extra bracing. Also, the verts twist more, which can impede performance of both strip times and handling. As someone else mentioned, Verts are for cruising... with some Bal*s.

4) The convertibles, because they start production January 31, will be considered 2005 Model Year. They will not be 2006's.