looking to buy a 73 fastback shell

mach1one

Boulevard Bruiser
Founding Member
Oct 30, 2001
Living in the past
Hey guys, long time no see, again :D My wife and I found a house, so that means one thing. Well a couple things actually, but anyway :). A garage = space for me to get another mach.

Long story short, I lost my 73 mach 1 in a fire and I still don't have it back from my mom. I never will, so I am looking for a 73 shell. My dad and I always planned on doing a better, now I have a chance.

I plan on redoing everything, susp, brakes, tranny, engine, paint, you name it. Just wanted to let you guys know in case anyone has one for sale or knows of one. Not much for sale in the papers here. I just need a decent shell to start with.

It must be a fastback, and 73. I don't care if it's a mach1, I'm going to "butcher" it anyway and as long as it's a fastback I can make it look like my old mach.

Thanks for the help in advance :)

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome back!!! Congrats on the house and good to see you haven't lost the Mustang fever. What state are you in. I saw a Yellow 73 MachI a few weeks back at a dealer down the road from me. He was looking for something in the area of $6,000. I was just looking cause I drove by and saw it, so I didn't do a full inspection.

I'll try and give you a call tomorrow george. Where are you located at? I'm only interested in 73 fastback. My plan is to rebuild another like I had before the fire.

I'm in Alabama Platonic. I never lost the mustang fever, just lost the garage and finances to do one :) Now that we have a house and steady income, it is possible for me to do another one. I'm so ready to get in another classic. My dsm is fun, but I'd sell it in a heartbeat to finance another 73 :D

WELCOME BACK!

Its good to hear you are going to do another stang. Hope everything turns out great and better than the last Mach. Man that car was a wicked cool. :flag: That car gave me alot of inspiration during bad times with my car. Now I have hit the wall again, and just the thought of you getting ready for another project has lifted my spirits.

BTW: what was your best 1/4 time with the old mach? Do you still have some pics of it?

yeah I got some pics on my comp, I'll upload them later today when I get back to the appt.I appreciate it a lot, I can't wait to get back into it. This board helped keep me going when our project was dragging and we ran into problem after problem.

I'm going to do it a bit differently this time. Same Wimbledon white, black interior, but that's about where it'll end. rollcage, more racy interior, no more fuel injection, just a modest 351c buildup, a t56 or tko depending on finances, and 4.11s or 4.30s out back, also depends on which tranny I end up w/.

My best 1/4 was 13.1@101, but the idiots who rebuilt it put the bands in backwards, so the tranny was dragging. Once the c4 was fixed w/ the right stall, it was easily mid-high 12s car. The 280H cam was way too small, and w/ the new cam I was hoping for low 12s car, then spray that into the 11s :D

How's your car going? I haven't been reading this board much so I've missed alot of stuff :) Any pics as well?

Project is dragging along due to conflicting schedules with my mechanic. i blew a head gasket and the piston seized. I.E. a worthless engine. I plan on doing another 302. This time I will be getting a crane energizer cam and some higher compression pistons. However this is going to set me back because i was saving up for some GT-40 heads and flowtech headers. After christmas i was hoping to have enough money saved up to get posi and a 3.27 gear. As soon as I get my hands on a digi camera, I plan on getting a few pics up.

I know your far away but we have a couple 351c blocks if you were interested in doing one. Just take one off our hands. I'll have to do an inventory check but we have some other stuff too.

Here's a couple of the better pics of my car, pretty painful, I wish I could have it back :(

mach1.jpg

mach12.jpg

mach13.jpg

How much should I spend? I've been back and forth with this, like what you said. I really don't want to pay for somebody else's nice interior + paint when I'm going to redo it anyway, but I don't want to have a big rust issue either.

mach1one said:
How much should I spend? I've been back and forth with this, like what you said. I really don't want to pay for somebody else's nice interior + paint when I'm going to redo it anyway, but I don't want to have a big rust issue either.

Only you can answer that question. Just like the threads where people ask: “What’s my car worth?”. The answer is always: “What ever someone is willing to pay for it.”

Relax. Take your time and educate yourself using all the resources available. Building what you want is much more enjoyable when your starting with a good foundation. Be realistic and define your goals within your budget, abilities, and the time you are willing to devote to it.

I don’t know how old you are, how long you’ve been married, or if this is your first house. I can tell you that working on your house and property can be just as rewarding as building a car. Plus the future financial rewards can be much more substantial.

IMO, I would buy the cleanest, most complete drivable car within your budget that comes closest to your final goal. Then make modifications as budget and time permits. You need to accept the reality that parts for these years can be very expensive and difficult to find, so you might as well spend the money up front and save yourself the aggravation. Spending $8,000 to $10,000 for this level is not unreasonable.

Yeah, you're right. I'm 22 now. I wouldn't be looking for a project if our house needed lots of work, but honestly it needs nothing. Previous owners fixed it up really nice, and then decided to sell. Got a great price and actually our mortgage payment is going to be less than what we currently pay in rent.

I feel like I know exactly what to do once I get the car, I just never had to look for one. I really don't want to pay for a driveable one when I'm going to rip up all the drivetrain, susp, brakes, everything down the road. But I don't want a total rustbucket, so I'm stuck somewhere in the middle I guess. I'd rather build it from the get-go.

I was getting antsy, but now I'm calming down. I'm not actively looking outside this thread. If someone points me to one and it works, I'll get it. But I'm not going to be chasing leads outside here until we're settled in.