losing interest in the GT: am i missing something?

Originally Posted by Torinalth

I have been meandering over getting an 05/06 GTO or saving till the new camaro comes out. the GTO has the LS2 which puts down 330-350 stock and people easily crest 400 with small boltons. a full NA car can get close to 520. thats just daunting. plus it has IRS and a more refined setup making it more pleasing as i am losing interesting in my massive loss in comfort for performance.

now this i didnt know. and thats massivly dissapointing. do you know anything about their suspension mods? most people just go eibach springs, and koni dampeners, and sometimes SLP swaybars. Pedders is the suspension of choise, but not massivly known as they are the big company that pushes on the monaro (the austrailian version that has never stopped being made).

When I heard the GTO was getting the ls2 with 400hp I stopped moding my GT because I was convinced this was the car for me. I went to the dealership with check book in hand told the wife I’d be back in a couple of hours with a new car. The car just didn’t blow me away like I expected it to, don’t get me wrong it’s a very nice car, but I had just put 04 cobra irs in my car and my thought process was will I be happier with this car (GTO) or would I be happier with the car I have now but with a Kenne Bell slapped on it. I went the KB rout and I’m very happy.

• Sponsors (?)

If you like cornering, you'll HATE the GTO.

I drove a co-workers GTO a few times. Yeah, it's fast as all get out, but it handles like a cow. I scared the crap out of myself the first time I tried to take a fast corner in it. A corner that I've comfortably taken "hot" a few times in my Mustang, was postively scary in the Goat.

I agree with most of the guys here...my car is pretty much stock...I have a few things here and there...nothing big. but i get people checking out my car and even pulling up to me at lights asking about it and stuff. Its not fast, but I like my car.

I was at the point where I became completely dissatisfied with my car. I was inches away from selling it and just looking for somehting completely different.

I stopped driving her for a week straight, and somehow, naturally, my love for this car returned. I dont know how it happened, but I found myself ordering 4 grand worth of n/a performance parts (see sig)

1fast03pony said:
I was at the point where I became completely dissatisfied with my car. I was inches away from selling it and just looking for somehting completely different.

I stopped driving her for a week straight, and somehow, naturally, my love for this car returned. I dont know how it happened, but I found myself ordering 4 grand worth of n/a performance parts (see sig)
I've been there
When you respect the mustang for what it is, you'll love it.
If you dwell on the things it can never do well(obviously w/o the corresponding NVH),you'll hate it.
If you love mustangs you can easily get over the latter, if you dont, time to get a new car. Thats why I've purchased a few sports cars while owning the stang. It is what it is, and no other car can replace it.

I was checking out some old guys LS2 GTO last weekend and it was nice. He had it lowered and had 18 inch deep dish wheels. Also had full exhaust: LT's etc...Sounded mean when he got on it and when he drove away he left a nice long stretch of tire...looked like a fun car to me. I'd drive one of them before a 06 Mustang.

Complete your suspension upgrades.
Mongoose kit with a conservative, smart tune.
Save for a built engine.
I don't see gears directly listed as swapped--have you?

i really dont like centri blowers. REALLY dont. if i go blower, its KB or whipple (if i go 4v). i will get a built engine if i go this route. and no gears. i dont want 4:10s in a KB car that will prolly see 450 or more hp.

You know, nobody has mentioned this but if you have had the car since '02 I would think it would be almost payed for by now. I don't know about you but that means something to me. You could enjoy having a "paid for" ride or use the extra money for some really bitchin mods.

the car is almost paid for. and yeah its nice to say... reason its not yet is i was broke when i got the car and stretched the payments out a mile to afford it... so since i have gotten back on my feet i have been overpaying... so i am down to a few grand left. something to think on... though if i get a new car, i'll be selling the GT and writing a check for the new one.

When I heard the GTO was getting the ls2 with 400hp I stopped moding my GT because I was convinced this was the car for me. I went to the dealership with check book in hand told the wife I’d be back in a couple of hours with a new car. The car just didn’t blow me away like I expected it to, don’t get me wrong it’s a very nice car, but I had just put 04 cobra irs in my car and my thought process was will I be happier with this car (GTO) or would I be happier with the car I have now but with a Kenne Bell slapped on it. I went the KB rout and I’m very happy.

i suppose the GTO was the front runer, but not the only option on the table. i am just in a rutt i suppose, and no real clear ending for me as of right now. i dont have the luxury of having a second car to drive around so i cant quite stable her and see how i feel later.... hmmm

If you like cornering, you'll HATE the GTO.

I drove a co-workers GTO a few times. Yeah, it's fast as all get out, but it handles like a cow. I scared the crap out of myself the first time I tried to take a fast corner in it. A corner that I've comfortably taken "hot" a few times in my Mustang, was postively scary in the Goat.

from my understanding you have to power through a turn to bring the back end around as it has a tendency to understeer in stock form.

if you want to go N/A, do a 4V swap.

yeah i am kinda debating this... issue is its pricy as hell. i have a few things on the table to get my power if i do keep the GT.

For now i'll hold onto her and see where i am after this weekends install... more options and thoughts are very welcome indeed. just trying to work through this.

Torinalth

Torinalth said:
For now i'll hold onto her and see where i am after this weekends install... more options and thoughts are very welcome indeed. just trying to work through this.

Torinalth

Ever think about a rear end swap from solid to irs?

san~man said:
Get your PHB installed...you'll think a bit differently about the rear suspension after it's done.

An 06 LS GTO is a nice platform, but it is totally BLAAAH for looks. If that doesn't bother you, then consider it further. Me personally, I wouldn't be caught dead in it. I'd rather have my underpowered GT over an ugly ass GTO. JMO btw.

IMO the Goat looks similar to the 1997-2003 Grand Prixs, ill take the underpowered GT please:D.

Also mine isnt the fastest but its still really fun to cruise on it....it turns lots of heads and going down the 1/4 is fun at WOT....it doesnt really matter what car you get in terms of power its how much money you have to spend on mods these days

I must admit I almost bought a goat a month ago. No I was never in any danger of trading in the Steeda for it, it was gonna be the wifey's car. I think that is the perfect niche for that car,.. good power.. little luxury and decent gas milage. other than that.. they can keepem'

I must say though. I am glad to see these cars around, even in the midst of ever rising fuel cost..the power keeps on comin'

dew22 said:
Ever think about a rear end swap from solid to irs?

yes, but i kinda gave up on that. i would need 1200 or so for the irs (if purchased through a company like need-4-speed. then i'd want to go ahead and get the tubular control arms for it and then do coilovers. thats a fairly large chunk of cash. i also already have the panhard rod sitting in my garage to be installed tomorrow, i'd need to decide before installing it.

the IRS is not as good as a solid axle on the track, however it would provide more comfort as well as better everyday road handeling... as we have all hit bumps while going through a turn. i dunno. honestly i'd rather the IRS, but havnt come across any awesome deals or people locally that could swap in a weekend. getting the IRS would eliminate the need for a PHB and a trilink to go with it. hmmm... i'll take another look quickly and see if i cant find something.

Torinatlh

Watch out if you do decide to get 18x9 and 18x10's. Now that I have mine on, I do notice a bit of understeer. Nothing that isn't controllable, but it IS something that wasn't there with the 17x8 stockers. Something to consider.

Also, a 4V swap probably isn't as much as you're thinking. Find a wrecked 99-01 Cobra and you could install it without too many major problems. Most say that the stock GT computer works, just some minor parts that you'd need.

On another note....I hadn't bought anything for my car in over a year or so, then the bug hit me again. Since that time, I changed out my suspension entirely (Bullitt to H&R's SS's, Bilsteins, PHB, 4 bolt MM CCs-already had MM full SFCs and standard LCA's), added Cobra side skirts (today-looks much nicer now), redline tuning elite hood life kit, and changed the rims. I'm sorta set for a while until I find something else that I really want.

Sometimes spending money makes you happy again, even though you thought the modding was done.

the issue with 4v, is i will need to go full bore to get the power i want. ported FR500 heads, comp cams, UD pullies, ported aviator or fr500 inatke.... stuff adds up to get the power i am looking for.

looking around at possible IRS, something hit me.... wonder if the explorer irs would work... thoughts?

Torinatlh

I say sell it then 3 months down the road sulk because you sold it before you were finished and forever be unhappy about the decision.

Who really cares if your car doesn't make 400+ hp and can keep up with Corvettes? The next gen Camaro will be ugly as sin and I really doubt if they will bring it back.

If you really want to be different sell the stang and hope Dodge brings out the Challenger in '09.

Torinalth said:
the issue with 4v, is i will need to go full bore to get the power i want. ported FR500 heads, comp cams, UD pullies, ported aviator or fr500 inatke.... stuff adds up to get the power i am looking for.

looking around at possible IRS, something hit me.... wonder if the explorer irs would work... thoughts?

Torinatlh
Thought about it, looked under my explorer for 2 seconds and said nope :notnice:

OK, your mods since 2002 seriously suck. Your not doing much...1 mod a year isnt enough lol. Get some Cams and slap in there...then when you get bored again, buy some heads....then buy a forged short block....then buy a darn 2.2L KB, racing slicks, and go destroy everyone at the auto cross. :D

hotmustang331 said:
OK, your mods since 2002 seriously suck. Your not doing much...1 mod a year isnt enough lol. Get some Cams and slap in there...then when you get bored again, buy some heads....then buy a forged short block....then buy a darn 2.2L KB, racing slicks, and go destroy everyone at the auto cross. :D

AMEN BROTHA!

though if the cars goal is AutoX id slap the IRS in there as well as whats listed above. no use having 450hp if you cant make it through turn 1.