Loss of oil after switching to synthetic

saxman9801

Jan 27, 2003
Boise Idaho
Guys and Gals, I switched to mobil 1 about 2k miles ago, My car has been using a bit of oil, at this point it is down to the min on the dipstick, to me this does not seem normal, has anyone else had this problem at all? I bought the car with 7500 and it has 11500 on it now, it runs great and i have no wet spots where i park just seems to be using some oil any ideas or feedback would be great,It is a 2002 GT thanks a bunch Dan

• Sponsors (?)

being thats synthetics have superior lubricating ability over mineral oils and they are just slick as snot..if you have a leak or worn rings, scratched cylinder walls..synthetic will tell you. Generally, if you switch to synthetic on a higher mileage engine, its irrellavant that your going to use or lose oil.

When my car was brand new it took oil. He took about a 1/4 of quart in between changes but now that it has some miles on it, it does not take any. It has about 18,000 on it now.

:flag:

def1eppard said:
I don't exactly call 11,500 high mileage...

DUH, my bad. I read right past the mileage up there.

I bought my '02 w/ 16k on it and immediately switched to AMSOIL. It's got 30k on it now and it does use a little oil but there's never been a leak and I've never had it blow smoke. I've checked everything and there's nothing wrong so I don't really worry about it. I check all the fluids and the tire pressure at least once a week anyway.

I've had that experience with mobile 1. Mobile 1 is a true synthetic. Almost all other synthetics on your store shelf are "fake" synthetics. Fake synthetic oil or hydrocracked oil begin life as a regular oil then it undergos additional refining. Hydrocracked oil does not suffer loss like Mobile 1 can. Do a google search on hrdrocracked oil for more info than you can use.

the back of the mobil 1 bottle states that there is less oil burning as opposed to synthetic oil? at least that's what I thought I saw. but then again, are you guys talking about leaking oil?

Seraphitia102 said:
the back of the mobil 1 bottle states that there is less oil burning as opposed to synthetic oil? at least that's what I thought I saw. but then again, are you guys talking about leaking oil?
Leaking past the cylinders and burning off is more like it.

Ya 11500 is not exactly high mileage in my book, I just wanted some feedback if people thought this was normal or not it does not appear to be leaking from anywhere I can see but does seem to be consuming some oil, I put some more in and am going to watch and see how fast it uses it. Thanks for the input Dan

What weight oil are you using? I wouldn't use any lower than 5-30. If you go to the Mobil 1 website, they want you to use 0-20 to take the place of 5-20. Screw that, too light unless you live way up north. I experienced less oil burning on all 3 of my 5.0's with Mobil 1 but that was with 15-50. Haven't changed oil yet on my 04 but will use 5-30 when I do.

Fast02 said:
Sax,

This may sound like common sense but when you check the oil the car is level and you have waited about 5 minutes without running the engine?
Trust me i thought the same thing i was like ok maybe i'm a dumbass, but ya it's low according to the stick, i kinda wonder if the dipstick is jacked though cause it is a b i t c h to get in the hole even more so then when i got the car, i have had no check oil lights or anything so i dunno what the deal is kinda ticks me off though. Thanks for the help and please keep the feedback coming. Dan

The bottom line on synthetic oil: Synthetic oil was originally designed to outperform standard oils by lubricating engine parts and REDUCING FRICTION to free up horsepower and improve fuel economy. Now... By doing this, synthetic is a "thinner" type oil to reduce the friction that standard oils produce.. So, you'll always use at least a little bit of synthetic regardless of the wear of the engine. Make sense??

reeber said:
The bottom line on synthetic oil: Synthetic oil was originally designed to outperform standard oils by lubricating engine parts and REDUCING FRICTION to free up horsepower and improve fuel economy. Now... By doing this, synthetic is a "thinner" type oil to reduce the friction that standard oils produce.. So, you'll always use at least a little bit of synthetic regardless of the wear of the engine. Make sense??
Of course but when my moms 96 4.6 does not nor does my dads 32v toyota i kinda wonder, we all run 5w30 and i am the only one experiencing loss a full quart in 2000 miles is a bit excessive in my book. Thanks for the help Dan