Loud popping when taking off.

88 Fox GT

Nov 18, 2002
Iowa
I have a loud popping noise coming from the rear end when taking off in forward or reverse. It will sometimes do it after I shift into 2nd and give it a little gas. It's not the rear end because it did it with the old rear end with 2.73s in it.

I was thinking it might be the fact that the spring isolators are nearly gone. Could the springs binding be causing this? It's done it since I bought the car but the reason I ask about it now is because it's getting louder and really makes me cringe sometimes.

I've heard broken torque boxes can cause this popping noise too, is this true? I posted a thread awhile back wondering about my torque boxes. So, where exactly do I look to see if they might be broken? What does a broken torque box look like?

• Sponsors (?)

man thats the same problem that i have been dealing with for the past couple of months. i cant figure it out to save my life. ive heard all kinds of stuff could be wrong. anywhere from the tourqe boxes to the u joints. maybe someone can help the both of us on this one.

89coupe-306ci, gt40 heads(p&p)1.6 rockers, ecam, 65mmtbody, trickflow upper and lower(lower ported), msd6al, 24lb injectors, 76mm c&l mass air, bbk equal length headers, hpipe, 355 gears, tremec 3550 trans, spec stage3 clutch, spec alluminum flywheel, etc........

I too have this problem but it seems to do it more when I shift from one gear to the next and give it some gas. The previous owner told me the problem was that the control arm bushings need to be replaced. I didn't know what he was talking about at the time....I just wanted a 5.0. I've been planning to get under the car and check it out.

I'm watching this thread now.

dec322 said:
I too have this problem but it seems to do it more when I shift from one gear to the next and give it some gas. The previous owner told me the problem was that the control arm bushings need to be replaced. I didn't know what he was talking about at the time....I just wanted a 5.0. I've been planning to get under the car and check it out.

I'm watching this thread now.

that could be.....did you check out under your car?

Same problem here, too. I've heard the control arm bushing theory as well, and mine do look a bit ovaled-out (being that they've got 250k on them, I think they're about shot). My torque boxes are perfectly intact, though, and my rear end is all kosher. Until I install a set of better control arms, though, I can't rule out the bushing idea completely.

I had an idea it might be the rear springs because the dingbat that installed the Eibach Drag Pack springs on my car before I got hold of it didn't feel it was necessary to install a set of spring isolators on there. I've got an idea that it might be the springs popping a little bit off-center or out of place somehow and then popping back; when I drop it hard in first or shift hard between first and second, I hear a loud POP that I thought for the longest time was an exhaust backfire ... but then another POP (slightly lesser) sounds when I let off the throttle or sometimes when I'm decelerating after a hard run and I hit a little bump that seems to set whatever's outtta place back into socket.

Good to know I'm not the only one with this issue. I was afraid it was just one of the many unique curses that seem exclusive to my 'Stang. :D