loud whine - what could it be?

93 5.0 almost stock - sounds like p/s pump but I don't think it is - that does make some noise at times too though. Happens all the time - even when not moving or not turning the steering wheel. At idle it is not bad - when revved it gets louder even while sitting still. When the clutch is pressed in and car is moving or not moving the sound gets twice as loud. It is very annoying when in a parking lot or slower speeds and pushing clutch in while driving in a neighborhood going slow. Stock clutch, stock shifter, pretty much stock engine... any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

That is what I was going to guess, but I was hoping for something else. It is really the worst when I am going about 25mph and press the clutch in to shift gears normally - either speeding up or slowing down it is the same - as long as the clutch is pressed in it gets pretty loud. I had almost convinced myself it was the power steering pump because it sounds just like that classic power steering pump whine even though I am not turning the steering wheel. The power steering pump does whine at times and I have been steadily slurping out the fluid every week or so and topping it off so the fluid is much cleaner now (using type F and Lucas transmission treatment) and it seems to be getting better. I did play with the adjustment on the adjustable clutch cable a bit and the noise has gotten slightly better but is still very bothersome and embarassing as I think everyone is looking at that old car with the terrible sound. I guess now is the time to get ready to do a new Centerforce dual friction clutch I have been dreaming of.... so little money and so many wants do not add up.....

Ditch the adjustable clutch cable, go for a OEM Ford unit, get a firewall adjuster and a good quality clutch quadrant, you could not imagine how good your clutch pedal will feel....when your wallet allows of course