low coolant check light, but full coolant.

Killa

Jul 9, 2007
My 95 gt 5.0L some time having this low coolant light pop up and go away, but some time it stay on til i turn off engine. While it stay on , i check the coolant on the reservoir and coolant on hot mark, needle never go pass half, it alway stay under half a bit, and if I idle for too long it stay in middle. any idea ?

where is the sensor and if I need replace it, where best place to buy it ? thanks !

• Sponsors (?)

The sensor is in the overflow/degas bottle and is probably clogged up. Try removing and cleaning it. It does not have any affect on the engine temperature dash gauge. It is important though that the bottle not become empty that's why there is a low coolant sensor.

It sounds like your sensor could be going bad. You should try adding a 50/50 mix when it's cold to the fill line if it has dropped any. If after cleaning the sensor the problem light still comes on you might want to change the sensor(can't promise results). The bottle or reservoir should be fine, if you'd like you could flush the system and clean it out for good measure but it isn't needed.

To clean the sensor there really isn't much of a way. Wipe it down, scrub it lightly, it's just a metal piece that's checking for contact with the liquid.

took off the sensor this morning and run some hot water and brush it down with toothbrush, put it in and light stay off, did check the coolant level and it on cold mark.