Engine Low mount AC compressor??

Blue85

Dec 25, 2020
Florida
So next on my list is my AC compressor. I kinda dont want to mount it in the original position on the driver side. I really dont like the way the hoses run all the way across the engine bay. So anybody running anything different. This is on a 87 5.0 serpentine set up.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey: I’m looking to do the same thing and I’ve done a little bit of research. The four-cylinder has the compressor mounted on the passenger side of the engine and the hoses, accumulator, dryer, etc. are all shortened. This would replace the air pump. The only drawback is you will have to design a mount for the compressor to fit where the air pump used to be. That way you can essentially use the same belt set up.

What Crown Vic had a 5.8? All I am aware of are 5.0 and 4.6 engines which ran from 1994-2009 (last production CV police interceptor). I’m almost sure none of the 5.0 engines had a serpentine setup but rather a two belt set up with manual tension.

I dove off into this pretty deep when putting an “06 CV front suspension in my “70 F100.

Last edited:
IMG_2753.png

94-97 trucks and vans with a 351W will have a roller blocks but I’m pretty sure the accessory belt routing is the same as the 302’s and has the AC compressor at the top on the driver side.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Many times, Ford put the AC compressor on the same side of the engine compartment as the battery, in these newer vehicles (post 1980). It’s clear in the Rock Auto parts that the AC compressor is driven by the S belt, not the V belt, and those cars had their battery on the passenger side. So either mounted up high or low, it’s not the same as the Stangs.

It's a serpentine alright. No idea what/how their accessory drive attaches but theoretically, you should be able to put that drive on a Mustang so long as there's nothing in the way.

Somebody that may know if we can get him out of the dungeons.... @LaserSVT

I just got off the phone with an old salvage yard friend in Tx. He tells me, all of those 1991’s had the AC unit on the passenger side, and some luxury models of the Ford/Mercury had them in the place of the air pump, so lower. He also said, many of those were part of that junk your car for money back in the day, so availability is unknown. But, if someone could find either a belt illustration of the Grand Marquis or ? we might have a winner.