Resolved Lower intake stuck

Threads that have been [Resolved] by the OP or Moderator

Mstng93SSP

You have a nice rear end there Dave.
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Mililani, Hawaii
I am trying to remove the lower intake on an engine in my car. I did not put this engine together. I don't know wtf they used but it will NOT come off. I even used my engine hoist and hooked it to the bolts where the upper bolts on and lifted with the hoist. It lifted the entire car off the ground. Is there anything that will dissolve whatever sealant they used on this? I hav already tried (and broke) razor blades, putty knives, screw drivers....

Thanks
1000100161.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Here is what I would do: take a chisel, place it between the block and the intake at the front, between the heads on the wall behind the distributor, tap the chisel into the gasket area, you may need to do this all across the front using two or three chisels, work a little at a time tapping each one a little farther in, it should pop apart,
Note: this may crack or break the intake.
I've never broken an intake using this method but it can happen.
Are you sure all the bolts are removed?

Reactions: 1 users
What do you see sealant / gasket wise between front of the block and the intake? This would be right behind the distributor. I use clear silicone on the front and back of the intake and they pop right off. It almost sounds like someone used the yellow tacky stuff on both sides of the cylinder head to intake manifold gaskets. I have seen this on a couple of cars but they only use a couple of dots to keep the gaskets located correctly especially on port / port matched combos.

I have used a razor and cut all of the black rtv on the front behind the distributor and it will NOT budge. I see a yellowish substance on the heads where the intake meets on the sides, and I can see RTV was used there also. I just dont want to break then ntake or the block. I also want to find the guy who installed the intake and kick him in the nuts.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
When I first started working on cars I ised Permatex Super High Tack. Looked like yellow snot. I stopped using it the first time I has to remove something that stuff had glued together. Used a spackle knife and a hammer. Cussed the whole time. :fuss: