Lowering Springs or Under Drive Pully?

ChrisYellowV6

Dec 25, 2003
Pensacola, FL
I am wondering, what would you do first? Either put lowering springs (considering I still have stock 16" wheels, and plan on probably keeping them for a good while, possibly powder-coating them), or an under drive pully? I'm not going to have the money to do both in the near future, just one. I am leaning toward the under drive, just because I can somewhat justify that by getting better gas mileage....Also if I put lowering springs on it will my basic jack that comes with the car work on it????

• Sponsors (?)

The size rims you have has no bearing on lowering your Stang or how low/high it will sit as the tire size will be changed to accomodate the larger rim. Hence the fact that if you went with 20" rims, you would have a rubber band for a tire.

I think the biggest bang for the buck would be lowering springs. Definately the more costly of the two options, but you would get looks as well as prformance out of them in that your car will corner like it's on rails. I think it made a huge difference with mine when I put the Steeda Sport Springs on.

You can throw that U/D pulley on any old time yourself.

Your jack will work fine if you don't slam it to the ground.

so what are some personal preferences for springs? I've read other posts that say ebach or something are good, as well as steeda. Anybody have good experiences with retailers who have good prices on these springs? Also, how much of a drop would be average for a vert?

Ford Springs are pretty good as well. Usually people go between 1 - 2". My Steeda Sport Lines dropped my 98 vert 1.3" on all corners. 2" may be a little much depending on where you live. Just make sure you get springs specifically for a convertible, or the rear will drop too much.

ChrisYellowV6 said:
so what are some personal preferences for springs? I've read other posts that say ebach or something are good, as well as steeda. Anybody have good experiences with retailers who have good prices on these springs? Also, how much of a drop would be average for a vert?

I have Sprint Springs that lowered my 98 vert 2-1/2" in the front and 2" in the rear w/KYBs all around.

Erbody is going to be different in opinions regarding what springs to use. It all depends on what you are looking for in ride quality, handling, looks of your car, etc. If you want close to stock ride quality, go with the best eibach springs and adjustable shocks and struts. Any drop more than 1-1/2" in front will require C&C plates.

For 6r's, Ford Springs are not bad but the drop it offers may not be enough. It would be between 1/2 to 3/4 inch drop. Maybe a full inch if your lucky.

My set up is a little harsh especially here in Los Angeles. We have s----y roads due to over population. I compensate by choosing what roads I take to get to my destination.

Like I said, erbodys different. My .02 cents. :spot:

Well, I can personally say the UD pulley is worth its price. The power claims are realistic, howver, everytime I look at my car and see those gaping holes in the wheel wells, it makes me wanna cry a little bit. :)

The only reason I haven't dropped my $110 for a set of C springs is b/c here in the hills of East TN, few driveways are without steep grades. As it is now I occasionally clip my front bumper coming and going from my fiance's house, and that's with the Skyjacker suspension. :rlaugh:

I have a question about this....I'm pretty much in the same dilemma as Chris and I'm wondering, if I go with the springs (they'd be Steeda 1-1/2 inch all the way around), am I going to have to buy new shocks and struts as well? I want the lowered look, but I don't want to be beat to death to get it. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton. :nice: :hail2:

You can get away with the stock shocks and struts for maybe six months depending on your driving habits, but you WILL need to upgrade them by that time. At least that won't eat such a large hole in your pockets to get everything installed all at once.

I think someone said you can get the Bullitt shocks and struts and they work as well as any other after markets as well. Check into that.

MarvinMyCat said:
You can get away with the stock shocks and struts for maybe six months depending on your driving habits, but you WILL need to upgrade them by that time. At least that won't eat such a large hole in your pockets to get everything installed all at once.

I think someone said you can get the Bullitt shocks and struts and they work as well as any other after markets as well. Check into that.

Thanks for the info. I'll do that. :nice: :cheers: