M/T Sportsman Pro vs. ET Street tires

1slow95

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
ohio
A local guy is selling a set of Sportsman Pro 26X10.50-15LT tires pretty cheap. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to use them at the track instead of my 315/35/17 ET Streets? He ran 12.43 @ 110mph with them on his 3900# truck.

I have these rims to mount them on. They're off my old Explorer. Any problems using them at the track?
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4173&g2_serialNumber=2

• Sponsors (?)

With more sidewall and a softer sidewall...you should be able to get a little more out of the pro's over the ET's (assuming the ET radials).

I think it depends on how your hooking with the ET's...if your getting 1.6's or 1.5's it might not be MUCH of an improvement but if your getting 1.7-1.8's with the ET's you should be able to get a 1.5-1.6 with the Pro's...maybe a little less...it all depends on your setup.

Do you have to have them...probably not. I would look for a lighter rim (like a 15x8 or 15x10 weld) but the expolder will work.

My best ever was a 1.68 60' time with the ET radials after a weekend of practice and great track prep. I usually average around 1.85-1.90. If I can get consistent 1.70 or better 60's with the Sportsman's then I think they'll be worth it. He want's $75 for the pair and they have a good bit of tread left.

I think you'll do better with the ET Streets. Not much better, because they will slow you down at the top end just a hair. Do you have pizza cutters for the front? I wouldn't recommend running an ET street with full size tires up front.

Kurt

I think you'll do better with the ET Streets. Not much better, because they will slow you down at the top end just a hair. Do you have pizza cutters for the front? I wouldn't recommend running an ET street with full size tires up front.

Kurt

I currently have the ET Street radials on the car... I'm looking at a set of Sportsman Pro bias ply tires. I do have pizza cutters for all 4 corners, but they won't clear the brakes on the front so I was planning on leaving my current tires on there.

Pizza Cutters only go on the front. I've had Sportsman Pro tires, and they aren't half bad. They aren't as soft on the sides as the drag radials, but they don't hook up as well either. It was on a car with a lot less power than you have. If you run an E street tire or a drag slick out back, I strongly recommend finding away to get the skinny tires to fit up front. I ran a 118 mph run with 245/50R16s up front, and about the 1000 ft. marker, poo was coming out. I never made it to the end before I had to let out it was so unstable. Not exactly sure when I let off, but I know I was coasting through the end. It's going to be even worse with a 17" rim up front.

Kurt

I thought you were referring to my Explorer rims as pizza cutters. Can't think very well on Monday mornings lol.

I've been doing a lot of google searching this morning and it's about 50/50 on running bias ply rear and radial front. It seems like with 18# or more in the rear tires it *should* be ok. Maybe I should just stick with DR's...

I don't really care about drag racing enough to spend the money on a set of dedicated drag rims/tires. Too much $$$ for one or two track days a year.

Yeah, based on what you're telling me, I would stick with the drag radials. Those ET streets with 18# in them may not hook any better than the drag radials. I've found it fine to run a radial tire up front, as long as it's a 165R15 tire. Running those ET Streets out back and full size tires up front is going to be scary.

Kurt