MAC Mufflers What happened?

kopgre98

Sep 11, 2023
NJ
Hey guys, I am finally getting back into the foxbody game after a few years to say the least and I am disappointed to find out that MAC is now longer in the exhaust game. I always felt they made the best sounding mufflers for a foxbody. Anyone else miss them or still have a set?

• Sponsors (?)

Mac mufflers sound a lot like Flowmasters. With that said Mac was pretty much the lowest quality exhaust parts you could buy. Not a company I would say I miss.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Mac mufflers sound a lot like Flowmasters. With that said Mac was pretty much the lowest quality exhaust parts you could buy. Not a company I would say I miss.
Nope. Flowtech takes the cake on worst quality exhaust parts.
MAC was OK.
I sold a lot of their product. It was a bit better than OK. Light years ahead of Flowtech.

Chambered, yes, sound like flowmaster, hard no.

To OP, I have have a pair still as well as pro-chamber, as they are also near impossible to find. It's a familiar but different sound than what everyone else runs, that's for sure.

They still pop up on marketplace here and there.
I ended up getting an axle back set for a 2010 ish and just cut the muffler out and welded it in my existing cat back. The muffler was physically the same dimensions

then a month later a whole fox cat back popped up, figures right....

Pretty sure the equal lengths I have on my car are MAC. They are one of those without a flange connecting the tubes…… had to ream out the bolt holes and use a pry bar to get that last bolt to start. Other than that, pretty solid, and very little rust after many years.

Nope. Flowtech takes the cake on worst quality exhaust parts.
MAC was OK.
I sold a lot of their product. It was a bit better than OK. Light years ahead of Flowtech.
I dunno, i had 2 sets of mac headers, a mac H pipe and some idiot swapped out the borla catback on my saleen explorer before i owned it with a 3in mac catback (it was a 5.0 SC truck). Having had a mustang with flowmasters at the time and a truck with a mac muffler the sound was awfully similar and the drone was horrific.
Not one of those four products survived. The catback actually leaked after the muffler and damaged a bilstein shock.
One set of the mac headers rotted in the collector, could never figure out where the leak was, then i completely removed them and if you held them up to the sun you could see all the cracked welds. The other set didn't have a full flange and risking removing and reinstalling them was a task.
I don't know much about flowtech, but i stand by my opinion on mac parts.
I was younger and on a tighter budget, but still never again.

It's stainless for me now. My bassani equal length headers were like a work of art compared to the mac set.
The X pipe is nearly indestructible.

@kopgre98 - you know what, if you really want a set, I'll sell mine. They are just sitting in a box at the moment and who knows when I'll ever get around to doing anything with them again. I'd rather them go to someone that wants them vs some fool on marketplace that doesn't know what they are actually buying. Come up with a number and PM me if you'd like. He is how they sounded when I had them on my car.

View: https://youtu.be/8vkncMyuIkM

on my 1991 Ford Mustang 5.0 LX Coupe , I have had full length Mac Headers long Tube 1 5/8th along with my Mac Hi flow H Pipe with cats installed since 1995
and they still work amazing no leaks. and 3 inch Flowmaster tails with Super 44 Flowmaster mufflers and a Mac off Road H Pipe up against the garage wall with that installed it sounds so amazing nothing beats that sound. I kinda want to reinstall it now lol

I have the Mac Unequal length Shorty headers seems to be coated no rust Prochamber and Flopath mufflers 10+ Years and no complaints plus a Great sound..... it Growls

I had a set of MAC on my car as my first cat-back once i took the stock exhaust off.

Ran it for a year or so. Was ok, but it wasn't that classic flowmaster sound. Took it off, sold it, and installed a flowmaster cat-back and liked it much better. Ran those flowmasters for 20 years up until earlier this year. I have Borla now.

I like the way mine sound can’t wait till the summer ........

Attachments

• 76733267-297B-4F48-BC07-6F85926A511E.jpeg
    76733267-297B-4F48-BC07-6F85926A511E.jpeg
    339.5 KB · Views: 48