Mac O/R prochamber FTMFW!

astronut1885

Founding Member
Jan 31, 2002
Assonet, MA
As some of you may have read in the tech forums, I recently started feeling the need for an O/R pipe after watching a similarly modded GT with that being the only difference make 25 more RWHP than me on the dyno. I grabbed a BBK O/R X pipe, and very quickly didn't like the sound. The gas mileage went up, the butt dyno also saw increases, but I wasn't happy with it. I then stumbled across a Mac O/R Prochamber that was mislabeled on Ebay and got it for 50.00 +100.00 shipping. Score! I put it on today, and now I am :banana: ! It sounds nice and tame when you're idling or cruising, exactly what I wanted, but when you romp it, FTW! The install went much smoother than my last attempt when I rounded the passenger side nuts trying to install the X pipe and had to flat-bed the car to my local shop. I had one of these on my H/C/I'd 87 (my last car), and loved it then too. All I can say is for anyone looking into a new midpipe, Prochamber is the way to go! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

My BBK o/r x is the shat. You must have gotten a shatty one.The only place i've ever heard anyone say that they liked the prochamber is on this site. I'm happy it worked out for you man. You whip is clean as hell, glad to hear your cars voice has cleared up!:nice:

My BBK o/r x is the shat. You must have gotten a shatty one.The only place i've ever heard anyone say that they liked the prochamber is on this site. I'm happy it worked out for you man. You whip is clean as hell, glad to hear your cars voice has cleared up!:nice:

Really? It seems to be pretty popular on all the forums that I frequent.:shrug: To the OP, glad you like it! That is one hell of a deal for a Pro-chamber!

That's pretty standard on this size stuff, I shipped the PC from my old 87 for the same amount. Even still, for 150, I'm happy. I paid 200 for the x pipe, and a set of BBK "tuned-length" shorty headers that will eventually get installed when I have a better reason to drop the K member, or I pay a shop to do it. I also got a set of MIL eliminators with the prochamber for the 150, and I don't need them since I have an X cal II, so I'm selling the X pipe, along with the MIL elims, in the classifieds for 200.00. I know the MILs are getting hard to find thanks to the gov. I figure if I can recoup 200 from 390 (had to pay the shop 40 for 02 extensions when they did the X) out of pocket, I've made out like a bandit if I get a pro chamber and headers for 190.00 :nice:

huh? What kind of warranty would I need? I used paypal, so if he screwed me, they'd go after him, and I saw in the pics exactly what it was. These things go 320 new. I'd say it's a deal.

Well, Mac product have a tendancy to warp out of shape a little once they've been heat cycled a few times. Also, if one of the flanges is slightly out of round, it won't seal properly....so yeah, warranty does come in handy. And paypal certainly isn't going to go after someone for that. Also....$320 new!?! When, back in 1998 when they first came out?

Try $265.53 with free shipping http://www.lmperformance.com/4571/50.html

or $251.55 http://www.jdsperformance.com/index.asp?initemuid=1215&fcmd=item&inmake=0

or $229.95 http://www.online-racer.com/mac_pro_chamber.htm

or $219.95 http://www.speedconcepts.net/product_info.php?products_id=109

If you're happy with what you payed, then great....I'm extatic for you. But like previously stated....$150 is a good deal, but not an outstanding one!

check ebay for the prices, unless I'm nuts. Also, it's a 2 piece design, so if anything warped, it could still be tweaked. It doesn't sound like it's leaking at all, but I did torque the crap out of everything down there and use a FoMoCo gasket.

Honestly, the listing was for free shipping, but then the seller emailed me with a few hours to go and said it was a mistake. Since I knew a prochamber was too good to be true at 50, but that I could basically sell the X pipe for what I would spend on the PC, then it was worth it to me to just agree to pay shipping. Do I think he soaked me a tad on the shipping due to the low sell price? Yeah, but since it works as good as a new one, and it's one of the older coated ones, I think 80 saved over retail is a good deal, especially when it'll go toward my next mod: gears.

As some of you may have read in the tech forums, I recently started feeling the need for an O/R pipe after watching a similarly modded GT with that being the only difference make 25 more RWHP than me on the dyno. I grabbed a BBK O/R X pipe, and very quickly didn't like the sound. The gas mileage went up, the butt dyno also saw increases, but I wasn't happy with it. I then stumbled across a Mac O/R Prochamber that was mislabeled on Ebay and got it for 50.00 +100.00 shipping. Score! I put it on today, and now I am :banana: ! It sounds nice and tame when you're idling or cruising, exactly what I wanted, but when you romp it, FTW! The install went much smoother than my last attempt when I rounded the passenger side nuts trying to install the X pipe and had to flat-bed the car to my local shop. I had one of these on my H/C/I'd 87 (my last car), and loved it then too. All I can say is for anyone looking into a new midpipe, Prochamber is the way to go! :nice:

Wait until a few months from now when your drivers side flange loosens, or the paper gasket blows up on the pass. side. You will be searching "where can I find fully threaded studs for my manifolds" :nice::)

Exhaust does sound nice, but every year I'm under the car tightening the bolts that were once swimming in Loc-Tite