mach460 rear deck help

dutch5.0

Feb 6, 2009
Netherlands
so I finally got the correct wiring harness for the mach460 cd and radio, and my cd player is working now. Though the rear deck still isn't. I found there to be 1 big connector in the middle underneath the rear deck. I assume this has to be connected to the front wiring harness with some kind of cable, no? Any know what I'm looking for and have one laying around?:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Try this too, remove the decklid inside the car. There are two connectors that should be plugged into the speakers. And yes that large group of wires is suppose to be connected. fish your hand throught the pocket on the drivers side behind the back seat.

There is a two-part Mach 460 specific harness. The first part leads from the amp under the radio to the driver's side, and the other half continues from that point along the left side of the car (following the wiring harness already there) to connect to the rear deck.

The original speaker wiring in the car and amp is hooked up to the tweeters in the Mach 460. The two amps in the rear tray drive ALL FOUR main speakers. This means that thew wiring harness I mentioned brings non-amplified audio to the rear amps then brings it back to the front doors. Kinda weird, huh?

I've done the Mach 460 installation myself, so I can definitely help you. A question for you: Did your Mustang have the Premium Sound option? Premium Sound already had an amp under the radio; it's a different amp than the Mach 460 one. Mustangs with Premium Sound already has wiring for the Mach 460 in the doors. If you didn't have Premium Sound, your Mach 460 installation is a LOT harder, and may not be possible.

I have no idea what my car came with, I'm starting to believe that the previous owner started piecing together the Mach460 system. Reason I think so was because there wasn't any cd-player wiring and the CD-player has a sticker on it that sais it was build in 1999.

So now I got a correct wiring harness from someone, hooked everything up and finally have the cd player working.

There is an amp in the centre console, 2 plugs that connected to it.

Then there's 2 large flat connectors in the centre concole that the wiring harness connected to.

everything on the cd player and radio hooked up.

1 small connector underneath the steeringwheel, at the side of the kneebolster.

And now I'm left with 2 or 3 plugs on the new wiring harness and a ground, that don't connect to anything.

front speakers and tweeters are working, the rear deck isn't. I quickly had a look in the trunk located 1 connector underneath the deck in the middle. Didn't see any other connectors or wiring. I'll have a better look tomorrow.

Sounds like the doors are wired up properly. There should be two plugs in the rear already that went to the old speakers back there. Those plug into the two plugs on the top of the speaker tray, and will get you sound to the rear tweeters.

There is an extra wiring harness you will need that plus into the loose connectors that runs to the plug in the rear deck. I don't have a source for you, unfortunately, except for eBay.

So far I've found 2 connectors underneath the reardeck, a small flat one and a bigger round one, that correct? No wiring though, so I'm probably gonna have to find the wiring that connects those with the front wiring harness..

That's correct. The remaining harness does reach back to the rear deck AND hooks up to the two amps and the connectors you mentioned. It's all one harness, I thought the harness leading to the rear deck and the one on the rear deck were separate.

This auction appears to have the wiring you need, plus extra. Don't think he'll ship to the Netherlands, tho. If you bid, I suggest confirming that the wiring to the rear Mach 460 deck is also there, and that he'll ship out of the US.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-Ford-Mustang-GT-Coupe-Interior-Wiring-Harness-Wire_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQhashZitem1c0968bb46QQitemZ120416942918QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories