Magnaflow catback melting gas tank cover?...

terrydf

Dec 30, 2003
Olympia, WA
After being on my car for about 6 weeks, I noticed that the plastic cover on my gas tank has "melt marks" matching the exhaust pipe where the pipe curves upward - on the passenger side. The bolts are all tight, and I was very careful to install the pipes correctly. The pipe can be moved side to side with a little effort - making contact against the gas tank. The driver side has no problem at all. Everything looks parallel and correct. When the car is at rest, there is plenty of clearance between the pipe and tank, so it must be flexing when the car corners. Is anyone else experiencing this, or can anyone make suggestions?

I'm a little concerned about the exhaust leaning against my gas tank

• Sponsors (?)

I know over on SVTperformance.com there are a few guys who have said the Stingers have done this. The fix was to make sure the pipes were pushed all the way forward, so you have a couple of inches of clearance from the tank. I am about to install the Steeda Cat-back.

terrydf said:
After being on my car for about 6 weeks, I noticed that the plastic cover on my gas tank has "melt marks" matching the exhaust pipe where the pipe curves upward - on the passenger side. The bolts are all tight, and I was very careful to install the pipes correctly. The pipe can be moved side to side with a little effort - making contact against the gas tank. The driver side has no problem at all. Everything looks parallel and correct. When the car is at rest, there is plenty of clearance between the pipe and tank, so it must be flexing when the car corners. Is anyone else experiencing this, or can anyone make suggestions?

I'm a little concerned about the exhaust leaning against my gas tank

I think it's just a matter of adjustment.

I installed a Magnaflow catback on my '03 Cobra about 2 weeks ago. I just went out and checked, and my pipes on the passenger side are just fine (no melting). I can fit my fingers between the pipe and the plastic gas tank shield. I remember when I was loose fitting everything together that I noticed that the passenger side could get pretty close to the corner of the tank (and the plastic shield). I just made sure to move everything forward a bit before I tightened everything down and it was ok (Insert the mufflers further into the short front pipes and the rear pipes further into the mufflers). With everything tightened down, I cannot move the pipes very much in either direction. The rubber hangers seem to do a good job of keeping everything pretty much in place.

I was also able to increase the distance between the pipe and the gas tank shield by properly adjusting the tips. I know that sounds odd, but tip adjustment did make a difference on my installation.

I've seen a couple of other installations and they are not having any problems with gas tank contact or plastic shield melting.