Main Bearing Clearance At .0015 For 289?

• Sponsors (?)

There are several ZDDP/zinc additives that are recommended, through at least your first oil change, for flat tappet cammed engines. I, personally, would keep running the additive right on through the 5K mile mark, for safety assurance. Some folks suggest using diesel engine oil or a racing oil, such as Schaeffer, Royal Purple , Joe Gibbs, etc, that are labeled "For Off Road Use Only" that still have the ZDDP in them. The recommendation seems to indicate using these oils for the long term. A bit pricey, though!
My $.02,
Gene

I'd run Shell Rotella Triple protection 10W-30. Last I heard, it still had the additives. Check first.
Anyone here know for sure? I went full roller when I built the 331, so I don't keep up.

since you are running a flat tappet cam, i would run the zddp additive for at least the first 5000 miles. i would also switch to a good synthetic oil around 2000 miles, but i would not use race oils like royal purple, a good street oil will do just fine. after 5000 miles, you can back off using the zddp additive, i would do it at every other oil change for a while though, eventually stopping altogether at around 20,000 miles or so. there is no harm though in using the zddp additive at each oil change if you choose to do so.