Manley forged rods and pistons?

• Sponsors (?)

If the weights of the parts are different from stock, you will need to have the crank balanced again. You also need to check the bore/piston clearance and hone the cylinder walls for new rings. In short, take the block and crank and your new parts to a good shop and let them check everything out for you. Its not just a swap job with the crank left in place.

Joe

jivepepper said:
The rods are rated to 650.

The reason I ask is that I'm just planning on removing the old rods, pistons and oil pump. Then installing all the new forged parts and reassembling everything.
That's what I did. Although I think 500rwhp is reaching the limits of the stock nodular iron crank if memory serves.
Joe Lynch said:
If the weights of the parts are different from stock, you will need to have the crank balanced again.
This is incorrect. The rods and pistons are what need to be balanced to one and other with a modular application. There is no need to have the crank reblanced as long as the piston and rod weights are matched. The only application in which you would need to have the crank balanced would be with a stroker set up......which usually comes pre-balanced when you buy the kit together anyway.

Gearbanger 101 said:
That's what I did. Although I think 500rwhp is reaching the limits of the stock nodular iron crank if memory serves.

This is incorrect. The rods and pistons are what need to be balanced to one and other with a modular application. There is no need to have the crank reblanced as long as the piston and rod weights are matched. The only application in which you would need to have the crank balanced would be with a stroker set up......which usually comes pre-balanced when you buy the kit together anyway.

The pistons weigh in between 392-393 grams would this be close enough. Would you have a idea of how much it cost to balance them and the rods? Thanks

What kind of pistons are they? Within 1-2 grams should be fine, but you should really contact the manufacturer directly for that info. I can't remember what my Diamond Pistons and Manley rods were balanced to from each other, but I'm heading out to the Garage later and I'll see if I can find the assembly card that came with the kit.

Gearbanger 101 said:
What kind of pistons are they? Within 1-2 grams should be fine, but you should really contact the manufacturer directly for that info. I can't remember what my Diamond Pistons and Manley rods were balanced to from each other, but I'm heading out to the Garage later and I'll see if I can find the assembly card that came with the kit.

man46pist.JPG

cp_man3.jpg

Rods bearings pistons and rings 750
head gasket kit 110
oil pump 209

Its not as good as a built short block but I'm poor.

jivepepper said:
I haven't ordered them yet so I don't know? I don't see where you could take any material off the rods?
They don't, they cast (or in this case machine them) all the same, but weight them out individually and put the ones that match up closest with one and other in the same lots before selling them. After that, there are plenty of ways to take weight off them here and there. They'll drill out small sections in the surface of the rod, in area's that won't affect their structural integrity, much like one would when balancing a crankshaft dampner. They'll also shave off a sharp edge here and there. Little changes make a lot of difference in this case. Have you ordered any of your stuff yet, or just not the rods? If you've ordered nothing, check out this companiy http://www.modularperformance.com/ for ordering your parts. They were great for me to deal with, reasonably priced and everything came pre-balanced. :)