March/November wedding 60's tribute

(snip)

Think of it this way. Me putting a 68 front end/tail end on a fox addresses the need to improve what I think is lacking.

(snip)

I can appreciate that - and you stated your argument very well. As someone who has owned both classics and Fox bodies, I've often felt the need to modernize the '60s cars. Likewise, I've always thought that Ford rinsed too much of the Mustang DNA out of the '79 - '93 cars. I love 'em for what they are, but have always thought they didn't look much like a "proper" Mustang. Of course, things could have been worse - Ford came pretty close to slapping the Mustang logo on the Probe.

There's no rule that says restomod projects can only travel in one direction on the timeline. Just make sure we see the finished product.:D

• Sponsors (?)

I can appreciate that - and you stated your argument very well. As someone who has owned both classics and Fox bodies, I've often felt the need to modernize the '60s cars. Likewise, I've always thought that Ford rinsed too much of the Mustang DNA out of the '79 - '93 cars. I love 'em for what they are, but have always thought they didn't look much like a "proper" Mustang. Of course, things could have been worse - Ford came pretty close to slapping the Mustang logo on the Probe.

There's no rule that says restomod projects can only travel in one direction on the timeline. Just make sure we see the finished product.:D

:eek: Somebody agrees w/ my smart assed comment? :eek:

My personal take on the fox's origins is that Ford was looking for their own "K car" to get them past the american car slump of the late 70's and early 80's. I don't think it's news to anybody that the Fairmont is the original Fox. Grandpa fox.
Now take ole grandpa fox platform, cut some off the nose, (Ouch! dang nab it!) and shorten the tail,( Watch it, whipper snapper!) throw some equally boxy albeit a little more racy sheet metal on the chassis and you got yourself a Mustang.

Jumping in the "way back" machine and starting w/ the 65 2+2, each subsequent model paid homage to it's predecessor, and kept getting better looking. I think Ford created the most gorgeous version of that car in the 69 sports roof. But despite it being significantly larger, and way more curvy, It doesn't take a rabid enthusiast to know that it was definitely a Mustang. The 70 shares the same markers, but I think dropping a set of headlights, and the side scoops messed w/a good thing. So the 70 gets kicked down a notch for those reasons.

71-73 got even larger still, and while I still think they are cool, This, to me is where the body starting losing it's identity.

(Sorry Mustang II guys, But Mustang II's are reskinned Pintos. They don't count)
For all aspects of my rant, Ford stopped making Mustang in 1973, and didn't start again until 1979.

But with the Fox Mustang, you really gotta stretch to see any previous lineage. As a matter of fact, I can't think of a single reference to any previous mustang in any Fox, 79-93. ( probably because they didn't get it that despite the fact that Mustang II's looked like a mustang, The sales of said car sucked.)
They must've figured that (I'm reaching here) similar looking = suck-assed sales, and thus created the Fox mustang...TOTALLY devoid of any reference to any classic Mustang.

Maybe that's why it was so wildly popular, or maybe people were willing to look forward as opposed to back. Regardless, It certainly didn't hurt that it was cheap, had a V8 and was light either.

What's this all got to do w/ my Fox mustang you ask..(if you're still with me)

Simple.

There's no way in hell you're not gonna see homage paid to a classic mustang in my Fox. AND it won't look like no damn re-skinned Pinto either!:D

words, words, all these words and no pics, LOL I would like to see more of the car, the craftsman ship, there are two types of people in the world, one would look at a huge metal penis sculpture and say that's gross disgusting, the other would look at it and go, wow look at all those welds, those took some skill, i don't know where the hell that came from, and I sure aint gay I'm just sayin'

I ramble when I got no pics to talk about. That is the primary difference between rambling, and talking.

Besides, I always wanted to be a writer at Car Craft, this is what you get for them NOT hiring me.

I got a butt load of custom exhaust, modifying K member, tire and mini tub fabrication pics, I just didn't find them relevant to the intended audience on this forum.

Right now, I'm in the hell known as bodywork by hand. I guess I could take pictures of the 20 pounds of bondo dust that is everywhere, Me, throwing something across the driveway after sanding the quarter down again only to uncover another high spot. The puddle I stand in that used to be sweat, The Bondo, The can of Bondo, The spreader, Blah-blah-blah. Uhhhhh NO!

By the time I think "I should've taken a picture of that", I've either covered it up, welded it shut, or thrown it away.

Pics, and words to go with them

Well, at our last juncture I was rambling about all of the body work I was doing.

I was itching to get at least one side in primer so I could see how well the bodywork was going to blend in.

I had one last hurdle to cross before I could consider putting it in primer, and that was to marry the 68 Front valance to the lower front fenders of the fox. Although close, the difference would definitely take some more fabrication before I could fill it over.

It started like this:
mustangengineswap126.jpg

As you can see, a bunch of holes and an obvious contour difference, plus the sharp edge at the bottom of the fender all forcing me to break out the cutoff wheel and the grinder.

we're gonna jump to the other side, I forgot to take the "before" pics there

This is what it looked like after cutting, persuading, and welding.
mustangengineswap122.jpg

Finished!
mustangengineswap128.jpg

So I moved to priming the rest of the car.
I told the dog to sit down and get himself a beer, this was gonna take awhile.

mustangengineswap121.jpg

He prefers the "one butt cheek" position so his package stays cool.

Anyway, back to the primer.

I used 2 part epoxy primer. It'll be the last time I use 2 part epoxy primer.
It dries like concrete, It plugs up every piece of sandpaper I used on it, and it went on like crap.

It took over two hours just to get it smooth enough to even consider taking pictures. Tomorrow I'll be investing in some 2k urethane primer and using the other junk on the wheel barrow, or the kids wagon. Nahh, I'm throwing it away.

mustangengineswap132.jpg

Those of you unfamiliar w/ the fox body, there is a pesky body side molding w/ a channel running right down the middle of the door.

I want to put a mach1 stripe there, so I filled it.

mustangengineswap131.jpg

Looking at the above, you might have to look twice to be sure you weren't looking at a 68.

AND for those of you harping on the big assed hood scoop,

I cut it.

mustangengineswap133.jpg

Here it is minus the height of the width of a piece of duct tape ( or 2", whichever works for you)

The problem is that now I gotta fill these two big assed holes in.

mustangengineswap135.jpg

But even after cutting, I'll still have room for the air cleaner even w/ the additional 1" spacer (not on now).

mustangengineswap134.jpg

Just one question from the video lik in your sig.... did you teach Roger and his Chevy a lesson ?

Naahhh, Roger was the painter. A pill popping, unreliable painter, but a painter none-the-less. AND just like Roger, The shop was full of Chevy Boys. I was the token ford enthusiast so the shop owner could get his tax credits for having a "minority" on his staff.

Every Chevy Roger schemed up was never a match for what I had at the time. That car that was in "Mikes paint booth" had a 363 c.i ford motor w/ twin turbos that made 638 rwhp. ( As a matter of fact the entire running gear was ford) Roger had a BBC in a fox mustang. despite that, he shy'd away from lining up beside me.

madmike1157 said:

"(Sorry Mustang II guys, But Mustang II's are reskinned Pintos. They don't count)"

I feel the need to remind you that the original Mustang was basically a "reskinned Falcon", although Falcons were way cool in their own rite and the Mustang was a brilliant "upgrade" and they DO count. BTW, GREAT project, demonstrating awesome skills and vivid imagination.
My $.02,
Gene

madmike1157 said:

"(Sorry Mustang II guys, But Mustang II's are reskinned Pintos. They don't count)"

I feel the need to remind you that the original Mustang was basically a "reskinned Falcon", although Falcons were way cool in their own rite and the Mustang was a brilliant "upgrade" and they DO count. BTW, GREAT project, demonstrating awesome skills and vivid imagination.
My $.02,
Gene

It's that way for alot of cars it seems. (reskinned versions of already in use chassis') However, I like the Falcon as a stand alone regardless of what clothes it wears. BUT....
I DO NOT like the Pinto, Gene I Am, I DO NOT like them here or there, I DO NOT like them anywhere.

Thanks for the kind words. The "Vivid imagination" is finally working for the good for me,....up until now, it only made the monster under my bed all the more real. :D

** editors note** send all .02 contributions C/O:
Mikes restoration fund
attn: His Bank account
Birmingham AL.

Yeah,
I hate Pintos/Mustang IIs also. I was simply referring to to an obvious point while :stirpot: stirring the pot.:flame: My first car was a 63 Falcon ragtop/260/4speed and definitely one of the coolest car I've ever owned.
Gene

My great grandmother (who will be 100 this year) had a 63 falcon, I remember that car well, she drove it for 20 years before retiring it on the original drivetrain. I wish I knew where that car went...probably got turned into a washing machine by now or some other appliance. I remember being little and I thought that car was awesome with those round tail lights.

My great grandmother (who will be 100 this year) had a 63 falcon, I remember that car well, she drove it for 20 years before retiring it on the original drivetrain. I wish I knew where that car went...probably got turned into a washing machine by now or some other appliance. I remember being little and I thought that car was awesome with those round tail lights.

It's wierd how vast your mind can be. I read your reply, and got hit w/ the memory of "going uptown," sitting in my aunts 65 sea foam green valiant w/ the push button auto trans. I hadn't thought of that in years.

Friday! It must be Friday! I've finally made progress.

Seems like I go all week, (or week(s) in this case) before I get enough done to be worthy of an up date.

Bodywork was probably a 15th century torture that was dropped in favor of the iron maiden. Bodywork done by hand w/o the benefit of air-powered tools makes the iron maiden look like a acceptable alternative.

I decided to focus on the trunk, and rear end. It has been close for months now, but far from primer-ready, and miles from paint-able.

The trunk was first. Previous dude decided to change the color from factory, and while he was thorough enough to paint that color everywhere, he neglected to prep under the trunk and the paint was poorly applied.

So I stripped it to bare metal, filled the gap where I welded the spoiler on and created a smoother radius. I finished the tail light panel where I cut and sectioned it. I finished the rear bumper where I cut and sectioned it.

I made some trim rings to finish out the exhaust tips and put all of that in etching primer.

mustangengineswap137.jpg

mustangengineswap140.jpg

mustangengineswap139.jpg

Here is where I get discusted w/ myself. All of the sheet metal is hand fabbed. The bumper was on and off the car 3-4 times so I could get this gap to resemble the gap that you'd associate w/ factory. The sun is setting here, so the shadow makes it look huge,....it's not.

mustangengineswap141.jpg

I don't know,...blame this on sleep deprivation, Blame this on my damaged eye, Blame this on my crack addiction, BLAME THIS ON MY STUPIDITY!
Again, the bumper was on and off several times while I made this side "fit". However it clearly does not "fit." I'll have to check tomorrow and see if there is enough bondo on the rear edge to sand off so I can get the gap even'd up. If there is'nt enough excess to sand off, ...I'm screwed.

mustangengineswap138.jpg

I didn't like the exhaust tips just poking through the sheet metal, so I made these trim rings out of .080 x 1/2" mild steel. I rosette welded them on from behind.

mustangengineswap142.jpg

W/ the 16 ga. spoiler welded on the trunk, it ended up weighing about 30 lbs at the edge. I cut the torsion bars out a long time ago due to interference w/ the 6 x 9's that are mounted in the package tray. I built the lift shock option today so that It will self open after the trunk is released.

So, aside from hopefully having to sand that gap to a more consistent spacing, I'll move on to the passenger side and start all over again
Yeah!:banana:

Its looking great...you can drive yourself crazy in the persuit of perfection...sometimes you just have to say "good enough" When working on things like that, most people won't see the slight errors here and there, but your eyes go directly to them and you miss the forest for the trees! Anyway, even if the back was the only thing done to the car, it looks great, I can see the end product in my minds eye....I don't know what color you are going, but a nice red with some flat black on the hood and the rear taillight panel would look nice :D

Decals are a good idea, I wouldnt put TOO many on there and make it too busy....but the good thing about decals is that you can remove them if you dont like them. Personally, and this is just a matter of my taste vs. others, I like simple, no decals, emblems, smooth lines, but I could see some mach 1 decals.