massive cooling problems

alright so i swapped a 302 into a v6 car, i have a v8 fan but the radiator is still from a v6 , is that gonna be a big deal? it over heated on me today and runs consistantly hotter than mustangs usually do

also i dont think my electric fan is kicking on , wtf!

what should i try, new thermo and a radiator or a better fan or what?

• Sponsors (?)

When exactly does it run hot? Or hottest? On the highway, in town, idling, etc. And I would look up part numbers - very often V6's and 8's use the same radiator.

The fan not coming on is a biggie. Do you havea CCRM (I dont know if V6's do)? I would get that fun running one way or another and see what happens.
The fan should come on while pulling codes, but that might be another fiasco considering the swap.

Good luck.

The CCRM is the black box that mounts on the same bracket as the coolant overflow (on a GT, not sure about a V6).

I would just want to make sure your fan is coming on. Low speed on a GT comes on at about 208*F.

You know, there is a guy or two who posted in the last couple days on here who have done the 6 to 8 swap. If you can find them, ask them about some of these items as they should know. Cool?

Good luck.

My 94 had the same problem with the cooling fan not comming on. I replaced the ECT sensor twice, replaced the CCRM with a new one. Replaced the thermostat and I still could not get the cooling fan to come on. And of course I checked the obvious, the fan motor was fine. For the longest I had a switch wired to the CCRM to kick the fan on when I needed to.
Recently I purchased a Delta Fan controller kit. (FK-35) So far its been working great. Check it out.

http://www.dccontrol.com/

the fan not coming on is definitely the problem. if the radiator was inadequate or if it was the thermostat or water pump, the car would overheat all the time, not just while around town. on the highway or at high speeds, the air travelling through the radiator from outside keeps it cool, when at low speeds or stopped, the cooling system relies on the fan to provide moving air. as was said already, check the ccrm. that was the cause of my issue when the fan wasnt coming on. if worst comes to worst and you cant get it working normally, you can always hook the fan up to a switch just to get it going.

get a new thermostat, buy a cheap radiator off of Ebay, but a nice one (bought mine for 125 bucks, it's HUGE) and get a new fan from Summit with a temp gauge etc. with it. Or, get a tempo or taurus fan and buy a 20 dollar switch kit for fans from your parts store. I just did that on my explorer and it works great. I have the tempo fan and you can watch the temperature drop FAST when that fan kicks on.

Is it overhearing at low speeds or at all speeds? If only at low speeds than its prolly just the fan. But before you buy anything find out why the fan is not working. I.E. bad wiring...blown motor, etc. Dont waste money on something unless you know its the problem. Try to find out if the radiators are the same on the 5.0's and v6's also (I myself dunno). But yea fix the fan problem first then move on to the radiator if needed afterwords.