Master Cylinder went out.... Time to upgrade!!

TenorPlayinGuy

Founding Member
Aug 3, 2001
Canyon Country, Ca
Well, sadly and scary at that, my master cylinder went out today after going down a hill.... yeah...

needless to say I need to replace the old school 87 3port master cylinder with something that can better handle my 4wheel discs. I know I need to go with a larger piston, so at least a 94 gt cylinder for me. But I wanted to know just how much more stiffer I can make the pedal with the cobra version. I have a MM 3-2 port converter so I don't have an issue with this swap. I also wanted to update the brake booster as well. I don't want a huge cobra one. Whats the largest I can fit without cutting, whacking on the strut tower.

Before it is asked, I have cobra brakes, 13" dual pistons up front (38mm) and the 11.65" singles in the back. Proportioning valve is installed as well. I have no leaks anywhere on the car, so I have to say it's the master cylinder.

What do you guys propose?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, ideal mc is the 94-95 cobra mc with the 15/16" bore.

If you want stiffer, the 93 cobra 1" bore will give you a stiffer feel

If you want even stiffer, the 94-95 gt/v6 mc is 1 1/16 and will make the pedal even more stiff.

If you are running the fox booster, you might find the 94-95 cobra mc plenty stiff. It's about 23mm in dia vs the 21 mm of your stock fox mc. The bigger the bore without changing calipers, the stiffer the pedal

So ideally yes, I would use the Cobra parts, however with the inability to find the parts locally, and with no time to wait, I will be going with the sn-95 pieces. I don't mind a harder pedal, as I was later on going to go with the Manual brake setup from MM. So I feel the larger bore will be a better overall investment now.