Media Blasting

WydOpn

Jun 15, 2006
Michigan
Hey guys - I'm thinking of picking up a '65 coupe as a restoration project, but I have concerns about the amount of money I'm going to have to spend to do it right. I've already priced out interior and the like, but the car needs to be media blasted and painted and I have no idea how much something like that costs for a Mustang from this era. Any ideas?? Anyone know where in the Detroit area I can have work like this done and done well??

Any and all information is much appreciated!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Well, this is a loaded question. I live in western NC and I have a quote of blasting just the outside if I remove everything for $150. I have also heard of places charging $1500-2000 in larger cities. I suspect what you need is someone willing to sign a contract that they will replace any warped panels if they are an idiot. Our cars are not as susceptible to warping as newer models because we have plenty of body curves to strengthen the panel.
Panit jobs run from $500- $10,000 and if you're lucky, you get what you pay for.

Find out if your quote includes a sealer coat as well. Especially if you will be taking your time with the project. Getting the car blasted and then leaving it bare is just an invitation for disintigration. Also, getting a '65-'66 is going to cut your costs by quite a bit anyway as almost everything is available for them and are cheap like borscht. So that can free up some of your budget for paint and body.

I just had my 65 media blasted. They used plastic as the media and it came out real nice. You can get it sand blasted, but there is a slight chance of the metal warping. If a good blaster is behind the hose then there's a very little chance of that happening; they just have to make sure they keep the hose moving so the metal in the area doesn't get too hot.
I paid 500$; I removed everything from the cars interior and exterior as I could. The interior, exterior, and underside were all blasted clean. I had no idea who to take it to, so I visited the 3 shops on my side of town and got a feel for the one who would get my business.

Good Luck.

I had my 69 stripped at Ray's Radiator and Hot Rod Shop in Warren, MI. I stripped it down and supplied the Primer. They charged me about $550 last year. Ray is very friendly and will work with your budget, but they are always very backed up so it may take a while to get finished. Anoter palce I looked at was called Metalizer's in Belleville. They quoted the same price as Ray's. Every other place I called around here wanted $1200 to $2500. I just made a post on media blasting at www.milandragway.com with a ton of blasting places in metro Detroit.

Hey all, I am in the same boat. I am about 3 days away from purchasing a 66 coupe. I live in the Colorado Springs area and am also looking for a media blast center.
WydOpn, just curious, when you priced out the interior, is it a complete interior and what was the round about cost?

Thanks

Matt