might be buying a house

jrichker said:
Got a wood fireplace instead of oil or gas heat? Better have a chimney sweep inspect it to make sure the lining is intact and won’t catch the house on fire.
If you are a handy carpenter/plumber/electrician type of guy, the house could be a bargain that is too good to pass up. If you aren’t and don’t have trusted friends who can help and do quality work, run the other way. Spend some time watching educational TV’s “This Old House” and you'll get some perspective on what goes into making an old house comfortable for modren living.

thanks man for the info:nice: by the looks of the outside it has a chimney stack but dont know if its still funtional, will find out more this afternoon. since im cutting wood that would be a great idea to save on the bills especially gas.
used to watch "this old house" alot lol lots of good info on that show. i can do electrical work but get kinda skeered of it. dont know why tho:shrug: . guess from seeing a guy get zapped by 440 is what made me weary lol.

• Sponsors (?)

hey man, I'd recommend getting a fixed rate on your mortgage...that's the GOOD thing about low interest rates now...get it fixed so that it doesn't vary if the rates go up in the future.

With your current figures ($30,000 total price, 10 year mortgage, monthly loan of $308, and assuming nothing down), I found your interest rate to be around 4.3%. Not bad, but it's probably a variable rate. There are two ways to look at it (which are rather unique to this situation, as it would have a more drastic effect on a larger, more typical mortgage:

1) A fixed interest rate would "lock in" the current rate (probably a couple full percentage points higher than your variable), which would keep your payments the same no matter what the market does. A rate of 6.5% (depends on your credit and other variables, you may be able to get closer to 6.0, or it may be over 7%). However, with a 6.5% interest rate, your payments would only go up to $340/month or so, but your rate would be fixed and not change, which is usually preferred.

2) A variable interest rate will give you an initial lower payment, which will help you out now. If you make more money in the future, you could better stand a little higher interest rate (thus higher payment), hopefully. Rates are likely to move around a bit in the next 10 years. Even if it went as high as 10%, though, your payments would still be about $396 w/ the other fixed assumptions (loan amount=$30,000, length of loan=10 years).

If you're still awake, I'd like to say that many counties around here STILL do not have established building codes. The county I live in does probably mostly because we have a decent sized city located in this county, but many of the outlying counties still don't have building codes, so anyone can throw together a house and sell it. It's crazy and very stupid.

Good luck w/ everything.

the way we got it setup is that we pay the lady that owns the house 308 a month. she still owes the bank 30k on it but thats what she's selling it to us for. so pretty much we just pay her and she pays the bank and after its paid off she'll sign the deed over to us so its in our name. more or less rent to own. i'll ask her today if the mortgage is fixed or not. hopefully it is so dont have to worry about paying more than the 308 a month lol.

30k for a house is an awesome deal, a 2 story house at that. I got my house for 57k with a 2 car carport, 2 buildings, and 5 lots, a deal that i couldn't pass on. My mortgage rate isn't fixed either but if you pay it ON TIME you won't see it change much. Good luck with it

I got my house for 57k with a 2 car carport, 2 buildings, and 5 lots, a deal that i couldn't pass on.

yea that was a good deal lol, i wouldnt pass it up either.

just got back from looking at the inside. all the electrical has been updated in the past 5 years so thats all good there. the whole downstairs has had the lath and plaster removed and insulation and sheetrock put in. the upstairs still has lath and plaster but isnt too bad. the house was actually warm and the furnace was turned off:scratch: . they put that wood paneling up over the plaster in the hall and the 3 beds upstairs, but the ceilings are still plaster, no cracks or anything so its pretty feasable. the heater downstairs is one of those big "box" type heaters. all the rooms upstairs have a small vent in the corner on the floor where it heats them up. no central ac so have to use window units for now which isnt a problem. the only problem i seen was when they redone the kitchen floor it sits about 4 inches off the ground underneath so the floor is cold. its about 2-3" lower than the dining room so it needs to be raised up. only got a couple pics snapped cuz my daughter kept buggin me lol. oh well i can get some more later on.

this part is actually not warped, the guy that put the trim back on didnt get the strips straight

View attachment 409589

heres a pic of the heater

View attachment 409591

the house still has some trash in it cuz the lady just moved out not too long ago. but other than that the carpet is actually in good shape for not being cared for for 10yrs. forgot also the lot size is 80x120 which is pretty good sized.

yea she said there was some type of fan inside it that needs replaced. said it just quit working one day. before it went out she said just the gas bill was around 200 a month but after the fan went it was around 400 lol. im not too familiar with those type heaters but it'll do for now till it gets central heat/ac in the whole house. was pretty amazed since the house being 100+ yrs old that it isnt in worse shape. major parts that need done is a new roof. pretty much just needs the old tore off and new decking layed down. front porch is getting ripped off and replaced. someone stole the other 2 pillars that were in the center so it just hangs. the back door that goes in the kitchen needs raised up in the door frame but its no biggie. good thing it has a 3/4's basement under it:rlaugh: man that would be hell to jack that house up with little space.

yeah, that one small vent in the rooms upstairs will not heat the rooms very well, but if you're gonna get central heat/air then that's cool.

I mean, for 30, it's probably worth it. Dump another 20 grand into it fixing the stuff you're talking about (central heat/ac, roof, siding, deck, etc). If your dad and father in law are both construction guys then that will help a bit.

Doesn't sound like you have a very big family, so I personally think the two story house is a bit overkill, which will make your heating bills higher. If there are bedrooms downstairs, I guess you could block off the upstairs during the winter and just not use it or just use it for storage.

Dump another 20 grand into it fixing the stuff you're talking about (central heat/ac, roof, siding, deck, etc).
Doesn't sound like you have a very big family, so I personally think the two story house is a bit overkill, which will make your heating bills higher. If there are bedrooms downstairs, I guess you could block off the upstairs during the winter and just not use it or just use it for storage.

yea, its just my daughter, wife and I ,well and a cat lol. theres 3 rooms downstairs (living, dining and a spare room) , thought about living downstairs and capping the upstairs off as you mentioned , that way i can remodel the upstairs and get it done and ready for central air. main part that needs done 1st is the roof, i mean its not bad and will last awhile longer but it needs redone. figure roughly 20-25K it will be a nice house when its finished. then have to fork some more out for atleast a 30x30 shop/garage:D .