Mini Spool or 31 spline traction lock?

Which would hold up to more torque? I've got a 31 spline open differential that I could put a mini spool in or should I buy a 31 spline traction lock for 100 bucks? I don't have the money or the time to be installing c-clip eliminators for a full spool and I definitely don't have enough money for an eaton or detroit locker.

• Sponsors (?)

First off...why in the hell do you have a open diff? If its 31 spline that would be something you would actually have to install at some point,since v8 mustangs come with posi. If you plan on driving it on the street stay away from a spool. Get a quality unit like a Auburn or something.

Well I had an unfortunate transaction on ebay who said that it was a "posi" but in fact was an open differential....I can't get an auburn because my moser 31 splines won't fit up with auburns. I don't mind spools, but I want to keep c-clips due to cost. Now the real question I should be asking is whether or not mini-spools are reliable? I've heard from sources online that they are junk and not to get them.

With a minispool both wheels will be turning the same speed, so one will drag, this puts alot of wear on the mini spool and thats why they break.

If you drive it on the street dont do a mini spool.

I looked at it pretty closely and you can't just put clutches in it because the spider gears don't have teeth to hold on to the clutches. Also, theres no notches in the carrier to keep them from spinning. Do you guys know a good place that I would be able to sell this thing?