Modify or restore???

D.Hearne said:
I'll bet in 10 to 20 years all the Elenores and Shelby clones will not be worth what they're bringing today. They'll be looked at like the General Lee's, Starsky & Hutch Torino's and Smokey & the Bandit Firebirds are now. Relics of a 70's fad. :rolleyes: The only reason the Eleanors and Shelby clones bring more now, is the buyers have more money to toss away than sense.:lol:

Yeah, what he said.

My 66 FB is lightly modified but I'm saving all the parts if I ever desire to put them back on. The engine, front brakes, and rearend are the only things that will be different. Maybe someday the transmission will be changed too.

• Sponsors (?)

strange65 said:
Restomod it the Eleanore's are bringing in more the the 68 fastback's.
The SN95 should be worth more then a restored hipo fastback.
The shelby clones bring in more the restored fastbacks.

This may be true when looking at the final sales price, however these prices (even if double) are seldom close to the amount of money invested in them. How many times have you read an ad for a high performance, modified car that said something like, "Over 40K invested. Sacrifice $23,000 OBO." Whereas, the restored original will usually be advertised with a firm price that the owner will get, even if it takes a couple months. I'm not saying they are making a huge profit, but they definitely aren't making six digit losses.

D.Hearne said:
I'll bet in 10 to 20 years all the Elenores and Shelby clones will not be worth what they're bringing today. They'll be looked at like the General Lee's, Starsky & Hutch Torino's and Smokey & the Bandit Firebirds are now. Relics of a 70's fad. :rolleyes: The only reason the Eleanors and Shelby clones bring more now, is the buyers have more money to toss away than sense.:lol:

Then the owner just updates it with new mods to make it cool for 2016

Between this and the " OMG WTF HAPPEND HERE!!!! " thread, I'm wondering what the Classic Talk Section is for. :rolleyes:

RedGTvert said:
What I don't understand is the statement from strange65 that the SN95's should be worth more than a HIPO fastback. Whats up with that statement.

He prolly meant the "sn65", not sn95.

IMO, he needs to decide a few things for himself. Is he keeping this car for a long time? What would make him happier-restored or restomodded? If he's keeping it and not using it as an investment, he needs to build the car he wants. For an investment, a carefully thought out restomod or a true restoration is the way to go-but only reversible mods. I mean, a metal flake paint job with a shag carpet headliner might have been a good thing a few decades ago, but wont help sell now!

"Originally Posted by RedGTvert
What I don't understand is the statement from strange65 that the SN95's should be worth more than a HIPO fastback. Whats up with that statement."

Ouch - my apology's, I admit, I am going senile in my old age!
The SN65 and yes, I would say it be worth more then a restored Hipo!
The reason the clones are commanding such high prices is not because its a "fad".
It's because not that many real one's were made.
It would be foolish for almost anyone, to drive a real G.T.350. Knowing what they are worth. Look on ebay, unfinished rusty Eleanore's with nothing more then the body kit are going for big $.

This is always a great topic for me. When I bought my 66 'vert in '79, I immediately did cam/manifold/carb/headers/exhaust ... and would like to have done more, but restomod really wasn't out there [at least to my awareness]. I confess I get quite bored at shows, looking at a zillion restored cars. I much prefer functional mods, and if it looks good, all the better. Like the thread on Preston's car, I want performance.

My convertible is turning into a street/strip custom with big rear meats, way too much power...and of course lots of other modernization. Value down the road? No where near what I will put in it UNLESS the right buyer happens along. I still haven't even touched the 2+2...it sits forlornly in the basement, wondering if it will get the road course suspension, seats, roll bar...and the KB 331 engine.

Investment value...sure, leave the 2+2 alone. Driving pleasure for me? A 500 hp classic that can handle, brake, and serenade me w/ great tunes!