More dyno graph fun

85_SS_302_Coupe

it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end
15 Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
Northern KY
I downloaded the WinPEP 7 program and got my dyno runs from the shop, along with a couple of my friends' graphs and laid them on top of each other just for kicks.

MeKennyBrad.jpg

My car is in the red.

The light blue is my buddy's '89 GT: 11.3:1 CR 347, Victor Jr. heads, Systemax intake, Ed Curtis custom cam (huge) and all the associated goodies.

The dark blue is one of his friend's LS1 Trans AM: CAI, Superchips chip, cat-back.

It's interesting to see how close i am to my buddy's setup considering how much better his heads are than mine. His cam has a bit more lift than mine but a teeny bit less duration. Another thing that surprises me about my setup is how even my hp and tq are...you always hear people (myself included) talk about how carbed setups are typically higher in HP while EFI is usually higher in TQ. The other thing is how much more we're both making than the almighty LS1. Now, don't get me wrong, i know the LS1 is a fantastic engine and i know that with nothing more than a cam he'd probably at least match what we're making, but it shows that you don't need a crazy high priced H/C/I to best them in power, and when you factor in the weight advantage that a Fox has, it's no contest as far as a mostly stock LS1 goes. Also notice what the LS1 puts down at the wheels vs. what they're factory rated for....pretty damn impressive for a very close to stock engine.

• Sponsors (?)

Man all i can say is go in with an open mind. The guy today was really going off on my numbers saying he was real impressed. He pulled up some runs of a guy with an Edelbrock headed 408 that made the exact same HP as me but 400tq. He was also saying my compression is holding me back because i'm only 9.25:1.

Great numbers, bro. I like how yours keeps pulling like a freight train all the way up high. Your buddy's, despite the custom cam and huge heads, seems to fall off by comparison.

Man all i can say is go in with an open mind. The guy today was really going off on my numbers saying he was real impressed. He pulled up some runs of a guy with an Edelbrock headed 408 that made the exact same HP as me but 400tq. He was also saying my compression is holding me back because i'm only 9.25:1.

that i am! i'm thinking i'll be about 350-400 on both plus my run will be on a mustang dyno but i will ask the operator what it is on a dynp jet.peace

john:p

What h/c/i are you running? The magic is in the heads! I was also talking with him about what it may have dynoed back before i swapped the stroker block in and we came to the conclusion that it had to be close to 300hp when it was a 302 because picking up a whole 100hp from stroking and a bigger cam is a bit much. I figure it was at least 280-300hp. I think the reason you see most 347s making more power than the typical 351 is because they usually have more compression because they have performance oriented pistons in them. But, if you went 40 over and got a nice bump in compression and you're using a good matched h/c/i then i don't see why you won't at least make the HP that i made plus more torque. I kinda feel like my torque number is pretty soft compared to some other graphs i've looked at, but on the flip side the hp number is higher than some that i've seen considering the heads i'm running.

those are strong numbers for your setup, but the 408 you were talking about seems pretty week. I'd be pissed if i built a 408 and it made less than 440 at the wheels