MORE MODS WANTED!!

Aug 19, 2004
I have an '03 vert. and currently have purchased the following: Predator tune (customized), Magnaflow catback and Steeda CAI. I would like to add some additional performance mods....but don't want to go the pulley route (warranty) or change out my stock h-pipe (emmissions visual test). Any suggestions out there as to what might be available that won't scare the warranty guys etc........

• Sponsors (?)

1268melberger said:
I have an '03 vert. and currently have purchased the following: Predator tune (customized), Magnaflow catback and Steeda CAI. I would like to add some additional performance mods....but don't want to go the pulley route (warranty) or change out my stock h-pipe (emmissions visual test). Any suggestions out there as to what might be available that won't scare the warranty guys etc........

You're asking the wrong people if you are concerned about your warranty. You need to speak with the service advisor where you get your car worked on and ask them what they will allow. There's not too many mods that provide significant power gains yet are "Warranty Friendly". You may be able to get by with a throttle body, but the gains may not be much. You don't want to replace your stock H-pipe and even if you did an aftermarket catted X or H will not provide big gains either. These items are expensive and don't provide big gains like the CAI and cat-back do. You really don't have too many choices at this point.

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
You're asking the wrong people if you are concerned about your warranty. You need to speak with the service advisor where you get your car worked on and ask them what they will allow. There's not too many mods that provide significant power gains yet are "Warranty Friendly". You may be able to get by with a throttle body, but the gains may not be much. You don't want to replace your stock H-pipe and even if you did an aftermarket catted X or H will not provide big gains either. These items are expensive and don't provide big gains like the CAI and cat-back do. You really don't have too many choices at this point.

U.M.
Thanks, I kind of figured that...but thought I would ask anyway. My service guy is pretty cool.......he is a young guy who knows what it's about when it comes to modifying. What about swapping gears out?

p.s. Went to install my predator tune on Frid. and it shut down right in the middle..........had to send it to Diablosport to get it checked out. :(

If you are worried about the visual for emissions get one of the new Bassani X-pipes that have the removable cats...it comes with straight pipe sections that can be bolted in place of the cats for when you don't have to go to the emissions station, then when that time rolls around, crawl under there and strap the cats back on and you are good to go...

1268melberger said:
Thanks, I kind of figured that...but thought I would ask anyway. My service guy is pretty cool.......he is a young guy who knows what it's about when it comes to modifying. What about swapping gears out?

p.s. Went to install my predator tune on Frid. and it shut down right in the middle..........had to send it to Diablosport to get it checked out. :(
Sorry to hear about the Predator. James will take care of you. As far as future mods, you are in the same boat I am in. :( Want more but am not going to void the warranty. Paid extra for extended. :rolleyes: Just have to be satisfied with the power I am making, but the longer you go the slower it feels. Just have to remember at any given time you are driving something that is badder than 99% of what is on the road. :nice:

Dr. Wu 2000 said:
Sorry to hear about the Predator. James will take care of you. As far as future mods, you are in the same boat I am in. :( Want more but am not going to void the warranty. Paid extra for extended. :rolleyes: Just have to be satisfied with the power I am making, but the longer you go the slower it feels. Just have to remember at any given time you are driving something that is badder than 99% of what is on the road. :nice:

Isn't the x-pipe an issue for visual emissions since you went from 4 cats to 2? How does the x-pipe make your exhaust sound...louder or the same...I don't want to get louder (I got rid of my Stingers because of that).

missouri_guy197 said:
If you are worried about the visual for emissions get one of the new Bassani X-pipes that have the removable cats...it comes with straight pipe sections that can be bolted in place of the cats for when you don't have to go to the emissions station, then when that time rolls around, crawl under there and strap the cats back on and you are good to go...

My service guy said the problem with the visual emissions is that you go from stock (4 cats) to catted x or h (2 cats).............so even if you have the two cats in place...it won't pass.

1268melberger said:
Isn't the x-pipe an issue for visual emissions since you went from 4 cats to 2? How does the x-pipe make your exhaust sound...louder or the same...I don't want to get louder (I got rid of my Stingers because of that).
I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. :shrug: I have emissions testing hear in PA., and I have no problem passing. I'm not sure what you guys are talking about when saying you will fail going from 4 cats to 2. As long as you pass the emissions test, you are good to go, no matter if you have no cats, not saying that would happen. When I had my gt, I had a high flow h-pipe with cats, and had no problems. It may be different where you are, but there is no # of cats you need to have, you just need to pass the test. The Magnaflow x-pipe has 2 cats and gives you just enough to pass the test. They flow so well it almost like having no cats. As far as the sound goes, the exhaust is louder than the stock h-pipe for sure, less restriction, but not as bad as an off road. :nice:

1268melberger said:
My service guy said the problem with the visual emissions is that you go from stock (4 cats) to catted x or h (2 cats).............so even if you have the two cats in place...it won't pass.

Here's what you do if they say anything...

Sorry sir, but I ran over some road debris and it totally crushed up my stock H pipe. This aftermarket catted X/H pipe was WAY cheaper than purchasing a stock Ford replacement.

:D

U.M.

Dr. Wu 2000 said:
I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. :shrug: I have emissions testing hear in PA., and I have no problem passing. I'm not sure what you guys are talking about when saying you will fail going from 4 cats to 2. As long as you pass the emissions test, you are good to go, no matter if you have no cats, not saying that would happen. When I had my gt, I had a high flow h-pipe with cats, and had no problems. It may be different where you are, but there is no # of cats you need to have, you just need to pass the test. The Magnaflow x-pipe has 2 cats and gives you just enough to pass the test. They flow so well it almost like having no cats. As far as the sound goes, the exhaust is louder than the stock h-pipe for sure, less restriction, but not as bad as an off road. :nice:

Yeah, I'm from PA too :nice: (Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area) and the local shops (I checked a few) said there are two parts to the emissions test: test to make sure compliance is met and then a visual inspection in which they put the car on the lift to make sure everything is in place per OEM specs. All that being said, I will probably pass on an x-pipe as I don't want the car any louder.........ya never know thought...I'll probably get one once I get bored!!

Uncle Meat said:
Here's what you do if they say anything...

Sorry sir, but I ran over some road debris and it totally crushed up my stock H pipe. This aftermarket catted X/H pipe was WAY cheaper than purchasing a stock Ford replacement.

:D

U.M.
Thanks! That's fair reasoning...I will go with that in the event I switch out the stock h-pipe.

chrisbudl1 said:
the gears, if they were to cause a failure, or something like your tranny messed up, and they found out that you did gears, I would bet, your out money :shrug:

Thanks...sounds like I will be passing on the gears for now.

threefity said:
I was under the impression that if you used the Predator and changed the factory computer settings they can void your warranty???

My service guy said it is a gray area....no way to detect the predator tune. You can & should download your OEM tune prior to any warranty work as a precaution...

Uncle Meat said:
Sticky-er tires!

The stock 3:55's are fine when the car stays stock. Once you start modding and getting more power the stock GY F1's break loose WAY to easily in 1st gear.

U.M.
I currently have Falken FK-451's all the way around 285/35-18.......don't really know if they are better than stock or not?? :shrug: