more pinging questions

68GEETEE

5 Year Member
Nov 21, 2003
Texas, USA
I backed off my timing, but still need to get a light and read where she is at. I understand the timing at full advance should not be more than 39-41. Is that correct? Secondly, how do I change the weights in the distributor to make it right? She isn't pinging right now, but I am not satisfied that my work is done.

• Sponsors (?)

GET A LIGHT. and make shore the timing tag on the engine and damper are correct first. If its a stock or lightly modified engine on pump gas, I think that is to much total advance, depending on the cam and other factors. If you have a stock dist. with vacuum advance check that the pod isnt stuck or leaking. You can change the springs on the wieghts for faster or slower advance, a stronger spring means slower advance. Read up on timing before you play with it or you could cause alot of internal damage. Tell us what you have, there alot of smart racers here.

I dont know what the previous owner did to the car. I do know about the .020 bore, it has a warmer than stock cam, I can hear it, but dont know the duration, lift, etc. Edelbrock manifold 4bbl Holley 600cfm, new distributor points and condenser. I have a feeling the vacuum advance isnt quite adjusted for this setup. I'll know more when I put a light on it to see where I stand. Are the weights easy to change? I have never done that before.

On a early mustang distributor the weights are below the points plate. You must remove the dist. and take the gear off by taping the pin out. take out the points and condencer and screws. Push the shaft up through the dist body and the weights will come out with the shaft assembly. I have had weights that got so rusted they wouldnt move. Not an easy job for the amature.