More Progress On The '70

• Sponsors (?)

Wow.. looks nice... lots of work. Looks like final clean up and paint and you'll be ready to bolt up the front suspension won't you?

I'm very lucky as I've had the car for a long time and it's been inside 80% of that time so no major rust besides floor pans.

Any tips on how you welded up firewall/apron pan holes?

-Stephen

lots of work

That's a lot of work. Nice to have it done isn't it?

Now you are where I was about 1 year ago. My car is still months away from being finished.

Once the sheet metal work is finished the rest goes much faster.

Brad

Protowrxs said:
Any tips on how you welded up firewall/apron pan holes?

-Stephen

Sure. I bought a piece of weldable steel at the local implement but you can get it at hardware stores too. Also bought some roofing nails and regular construction nails. For small holes use the nails - just stick them through the hole and weld the head to the car, grind off the shank and finish it. For bigger holes, get a nice, sharp metal shear and cut small, round pieces to fit the hole. I cut a piece that's a little too big then trace the hole onto the steel with a sharpie, then I cut it to size. Hold it in place with a welding magnet and tack it. Check it to make sure it's fairly flush then tack the other side, check, tack, etc. Grind it smooth and skim with dura glass. It doesn't look like a big job but once you start you realize just how many holes they put in the engine compartment.

Welding them up is easy, it's the grinding I hate.:(