Motor mount change

• Sponsors (?)

The mount nuts are very tight and you will need a ½” drive universal joint and a 7/8” socket to get them off. SAVE the NUTS –you will need to check to see if they will fit the new mounts – mine didn’t.

Put a 2x4 under the oil pan and pump up the hydraulic jack until it starts to lift the engine. Mark everything Left and Right when you take it off, as the new mounts may not be marked and it is very difficult to eyeball the and tell them apart.

Pump the jack up way high – watch for clearance and slack in wiring, vacuum lines, etc, (the cat converters didn’t clear on my 89GT) and use some wood blocks between the headers/engine and the frame if you need to remove the jack.

You may want to check the rear transmission mount while you are under the car.

I installed the mounts yesterday. It took several hours or more to do. This was mostly because Autozone gave me two of the same mounts in the correct boxes for right and left. And like someone mentioned the nuts from the old mounts will not fit the new ones, and the new mounts don't come with the nuts. I went back to Autozone for the third time and they said they didn't carry the correct nuts for the mounts. I ended up at Ace hardware for the correct fasteners. The job was a pain, but pretty straight foward if you have patience. Add in time for the trips to the parts stores if your not careful.

glad to hear it went together alright. im sure you did, but i will mention it....i would use something along the lines of grade 8 fasteners for those mounts. im sure you did, but something worth mentioning. you dont need to snap a fastener off.....nice work!

Oh yeah, thanks for your help Hissin50. I listened to your tips during the install. My fan now has plenty of clearance in the shroud, and the motor seems tighter when driving. The latter is probably in my head but who cares.

If your still using the stock fan look at the bottom of it. If you have the original mounts on our cars the fan is probably about to hit the bottom of the shroud or it already has. The stock rubber mounts break down. Even if you have an electric fan it would be a good idea to change the originals to cut down the strain on the drivetrain.

When I installed my energy supension mounts I can't remeber if they came with new nuts or if the the ones from the stockers fit, but I know I didn't have to make any parts runs. One thing I wanted to add is make sure and use a big enough piece of 2X4 under the oil pan to distribute the weight evenly. I used a small scrap of 2X4 and ended up with a nice dent in the pan :rolleyes: :mad:

What size nuts do i need cause i already had my engine droped in and dont wanna try taking out a mount to match up nuts at a hardwear store i ahve teh old nuts they seem to small so should i just go to teh store and get 2 of every size close to theses or does anyone know thte size for new engine mounts i got them at NAPA if that helps...