Motor Mount Swap

TheSalad

Aug 3, 2003
Utah
Next weekend I will be removing my k-member so that I can change my motor mounts. From what I understand, having long tube headers makes getting to the motor mounts very difficult with the k-member installed. So, it will all be coming out next weekend.

The reason I am doing this is because I have clutch chatter. Also, it is probably a good idea to do this considering the age of the vehicle (14+ years old). I understand that because I am going through all of this work (dropping the k-member), I might as well do the clutch while I am at it, but I would like to try the least expensive fix first. If the new motor mounts fix the chatter, then I can continue to use the clutch that I installed 3 years ago (40,000 miles). If the chatter remains, then I will need to replace the clutch and will have to repeat the entire procedure. At least I will get some practice at doing this procedure, right? While I am doing this, I will also replace the transmission fluid to see if I can fix some of the "tough" shifts that I am having.

I bought an engine support bar from Harbor Freight to suspend the engine from above while I remove the bottom support structure. I hope that this works well; I trust it more than a floor jack on the oil pan. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Anyway, I am looking for words of encouragement as I get ready to do this project. I have removed the k-member before when I replaced the clutch, and I did it alone. This time I have a wife that might be willing to help me, but I still remember the time required and the difficulty in removing some of those big bolts.

I will post pictures of my work when I am done so you all can admire my misery! :)

Also, this thread should probably end up in the Tech forum, but before I get working on it, it is all talk!

View attachment 218581

View attachment 218582

• Sponsors (?)