Motor Mounts

This might be old news, but.....

I was just watching "My Classic Car" and they were talking about a company called Steele Rubber Products, and among their products and services they include a service which rebuilds motor mounts :nice: . I guess they take your old ones, seperate them, sandblast them and revulcanize them. I thought that this might be handy for us, since the mounts are so hard to find. There is a catch though, apparently they don't sell Ford parts :notnice: , but that doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't rebuild our parts!?! :shrug: I don't know how much, or where they are because i had to stop watching the show, i can only take so much of that Dennis Gage guy! :rolleyes:

• Sponsors (?)

Are there really that many of you looking for motor mounts? I was getting ready to mock up a jig and make some new ones for myself after a long break from the II. So who all would be interested in some new ones? If somebody else wants some, maybe it will motivate me to get off my ass and do it instead of dickering around with other projects. Anybody interested?

Kyle

Anybody checked with their Ford dealer lately? I bought a set of brand-new Ford motor mounts a few years ago from a dealer. He said that they were out of production, but there still seemed to be some in the supply pipeline. About $85 each (OUCH!).

Also didn't someone report a while back that one of the polyurethane bushing companies said they would make some if someone would send a worn out set?

78CobraII

I plan on working something out this weekend. Shouldn't be hard whatsoever, only I'm only going off of my slightly worn current 302 mounts. Anybody have any dimensions they have made in the past they could send me? Might cut down on the trial and error a bit. Later

Kyle

Rob, It'll still be a while, I'm still working on a jig, been very busy with work lately, but never fear, it will be done. Hopefully I can scrap up some time this weekend to make it, I would still have to order some materials for the rubber inner part, unless you wanted solid mounts...which in my book aren't all that cool...I'd like to keep my teeth for a while. Anybody who might be considering it, drop me an e-mail at [email protected] so I can figure up materials I need to order. I'll keep everybody updated.

Later,
Kyle

UPDATE:

Finally found some time to start working on the jig, and it is coming along nicely. Just getting it all welded up right now, should be finished by the end of the weekend. I've gotten e-mails from three people, so if anybody else is interested, drop me a message at [email protected] so I know how many I need to make.

Kyle

well, I've gotten a lot of interest in the motor mounts. I have one of the jigs done, just need to finalize design of the mount itself and order up some materials. Just thought I'd update everybody, if anybody else is interested, be sure to drop me an e-mail.

Kyle

I didn't catch the actual design either. Are they gonna be solid or are they gonna be rubber isolated? If they will be rubber isolated, I'd be interested. :nice:

I've got a few good canidates alreay for the 'solid' mount method. Nothing a few small pieces of plate and a mig welder wouldn't take care of. :D

Hey everybody, sorry I've been away for a while, been really busy with work and school. The plan is for a solid mount design first, then I'm going to work on some factory-style mounts with the rubber isolators. I'm just waiting for my paycheck so I can order some raw materials, things are coming along well besides that!

Kyle