• Crank kit = probably 400$ when all done

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • 306 = probably a grand when all done

Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters

MadMatt5oh

Jan 10, 2003
St Paul, MN
Well, Ive noticed over the last couple of days that Ive got a knock at dry startups. Its like a 50-50% chance that it will/wont knock on every dry startup. Its not a bad knock though just real light for 4-7 "knocks". Its definately coming from the lower end.

You know what sucks is the motor has 160 compression across all cylinders and has excellent oil pressure :bang:

I am left with the choice of getting of selling my mustang, getting a crank kit (150$) and gaskets and doing it myself or a 5000 mile 306 9.5 to 1 short block (800$ installed by friend)

Ive been thinking about just driving a jacked up Dogde ram truck instead. That way I dont have to keep an eye on inconsiderate skumbags who like to park 6 inches away knowing damn well theyll ding my ride! Dodge truck would have huge nerf bars and tires = theyll only ding themselves

What do you guys think? I'll include a poll

• Sponsors (?)

how many miles on the motor in it now? if not a lot, id go for the crank kit, but if near 100k or better, id go for the other 306, dont give up on the stang!!! i have a dodge truck, 99 ram sport, not all that, my stang needs rims and a paintjob, and i like it better than my truck, truck is a **** magnet, people keep running into me!!!

The motor has at least 64k on it. It may have 161k! I just dont get it. It kicked ass on the compression, doesnt leak or use any oil.

About the truck, Im thinking it cant be that bad. Fox body metal is like cheap playdoe. I almost got in a fight with some fool getting ready to hook it with his door yesterday! Im sick of worrying about keeping it mint.

The truck is a 00 with a 6" lift, 33" tires,456 gears, 5 speed 360, thick chrome bars all around, roll bar - you name it. Its selling for 17,000 with 67k miles

Im torn :( I still have other issues with this car

I just dont know

youd be surprised how small of a deal that is from my experience anyway. My 88 cadi with 307 (worst GM motor ever btw 140 hp for a 2.5 ton car :nonono: ) does that once and a while on dry starts and i just did a crank kit on it. Im having the opposite problem u have my compression probly sucks and without the stop oil addictive i have toi add a quart a week, but it gets me there untill the 5 speed swap is done. I would go for the 306 for 800....haha sounds like jeopoard. good luck whatever u decide :nice:

Hmmm, Can I actually swap out the crank and bearings with the motor still in? I could remove the steering assembly. This situation sucks. This car has done nothing but cost me alot of money. I used a crowbar as a stethoscope and it knocks all the time. Its running out of time

I know this sounds crazy, but I used to work at a GM dealership, they sell AC Delco Reman motors, you can walk in and get a 5.0 HO for about $1000 with tax. They have 3 year 36.000 mile warranty. I'd almost go that route if it gets real bad, Morning sickness is common with 302's. I'd drive it till it grenades. My friends has done that for years, and it still takes a daily beatdown without hesitation.

well there is a huge difference in 64 and 164, but id still go with the newer 306, the truck sounds sweet, but a truck like that will be lucky to get 7 miles to the gallon, do u really want to keep filling that monster up? Price of gas aint doin nothin but goin up.

Ive owned my car for 5 years, and it has always had a knock from the bottom end, and I too have awesome compression across all cylinders. I have never worried about it cuz it is the stock motor and I just figured it will brake when it breaks. Anyway, five years later and about 60 hp and the thing is still running strong, although if I am under the car I can hear a faint knock.

dry startup knock can be attributed to a poor oil filter with a shiity anti-drainback valve.

This cause the oil in the top end to drain back into the pan all the time when it should keep it in the upper end.

Did you change oil filter brand lately?

Also, maybe its time to switch to synthetic. Don't worry, if it doesn't leak now, it won't with synthetic.

BlazerLT said:
dry startup knock can be attributed to a poor oil filter with a shiity anti-drainback valve.

This cause the oil in the top end to drain back into the pan all the time when it should keep it in the upper end.

Did you change oil filter brand lately?

Also, maybe its time to switch to synthetic. Don't worry, if it doesn't leak now, it won't with synthetic.

Yes, as a matter of fact I have changed the oil and fliter shortly before this started happening! I always run 1040 valvoline and a Fram PH8A. This time I ran the same oil with a Motorcraft.

I replaced the exhaust this weekend. What unspeakable horrors it was installing MACs exhaust! It cant hear the knock because Longs, no cats and 2 chambers have made things louder.

Another thing is that this car is in fact LEAKING OIL. I saw the truth when the T5 was covered with engine oil. The rear main seal is shot.

riceater89-5.0 said:
well there is a huge difference in 64 and 164, but id still go with the newer 306, the truck sounds sweet, but a truck like that will be lucky to get 7 miles to the gallon, do u really want to keep filling that monster up? Price of gas aint doin nothin but goin up.

Yes, I think youre right on all this man. That thing has got to guzzle some serious gas! The dealer didnt wasnt living in reality so I wont be buying that truck.

I would have to say the car has 160+ on it. Im going to go with the 306.

Camman said:
Ive owned my car for 5 years, and it has always had a knock from the bottom end, and I too have awesome compression across all cylinders. I have never worried about it cuz it is the stock motor and I just figured it will brake when it breaks. Anyway, five years later and about 60 hp and the thing is still running strong, although if I am under the car I can hear a faint knock.

Thanks Camman, thats releiving news. The motor is strong as well. I love the way this car sounds with its new long tubes and no cat H! BADASS! :spot:

MadMatt5oh said:
Yes, I think youre right on all this man. That thing has got to guzzle some serious gas! The dealer didnt wasnt living in reality so I wont be buying that truck.

I would have to say the car has 160+ on it. Im going to go with the 306.

I have a 94 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 360 and I get about 10 MPG in the city and 17 on the highway. Add that to a 27 gal tank and you have got yourself a money hog!

_JB_ said:
I have a 94 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 360 and I get about 10 MPG in the city and 17 on the highway. Add that to a 27 gal tank and you have got yourself a money hog!

I understand! :nice: I just cant help myself when I look at a jacked up crazy assed redneck truck like those! :D Im hoping that I can keep the stang and get one of those too