msd ignition

scaryclown34

Dec 15, 2005
new jersey
i want to put a performance ignition in my 95 gt convertible. i have a few questions about it. msd seems like the best brand to buy. i want to get a coil, some wires, a distibutor cap and rotor and new spark plugs. this should be all i need right?

is it necessary to replace the whole distributor? cause i dont have a timing light and never replaced a whole distributor but the rest of the stuff is easy and i can do myself.

i was looking for information around the internet and found talk of an msd igntion box that was added to 5.0 mustangs. i dont know if thats necessary for me or if i can just change the parts i mentioned.

also do u know of the best website or store to order the msd stuff for the lowest price. autozone sells the coil for $48 and wires for $80.

• Sponsors (?)

You don't replace the distributor unless its bad. Any aftermarket ones are no better than OEM, reman. is prolly worse. Just get a new distributor cap and rotor about $20. I would look at summit racing to compare prices for the msd wires and coil. Those are both good quality pieces. I would recommend autolite COPPER plugs (your local autoparts store should be able to look up your factory replacement). Dont worry about an ignition box if your motor is pretty stock. Its mostly useful only for high compression or forced induction or sprayed motors.
YOu should not need a timing light if you put the new rotor back in the waythe old one came out....and same with the cap. But its still good to check your timing when doing stuff like this. A timing light is like $25 and its a good thing to have.

I have a lightly modified 95 GT and I'm adding things every month. The ignition is a known weak link for that year and needs all the help it can get. I would suggest at least wires, plugs, coil and ignition module, the distributor can be replaced when funds are available.

Heading says 86-93 but if you look lower on the page the kit is available for 94-95 also. I did the whole thing at once and am very happy with the results.
http://www.performancedistributors.com/5.0ignition.htm

http://www.performancedistributors.com/5.0ignition.htm

Just a tip: You will get ZERO extra horsepower from only adding an MSD ignition. It is designed as a performance enhancer, not producer.

+1 :)

Many 94-95 NA 300rwhp and better combos are using the OEM ignition

You see aftermarket ignition on forced combos to help with spark blow out
but
Some have closed down the plug gap a good bit and still use it

Grady

Agreed with Grady and Vipersix. I once had some dyno info showing the stock ignition good for almost 400 HP N/A.

Scaryclown, I'd put the money towards gears or something you'll feel more.

Good luck.