Multifunctions switch

wht87gt

Mar 16, 2003
Oxford, MA
Hey everyone, is there another vehicle that we can get multifunction switches out of that will work in a mustang. As you all know they are kind of expensive so I was going to get one from the junkyard, but there aren't any mustangs in the junkyards around here. Atleast none that I can find. There seems to be a lot of interchangeable parts from other cars so I thought I'd give it shot.

• Sponsors (?)

A word of caution about multifunction switches is in order here. The multifunction switch (high/low beam, wiper, turn signals) are different for different years. 87-98 will work in any 87-89 car. The 90-93 switches only work in 90-93 cars. You can't put an early model switch in a late model car, nor can you put a late model switch in an early car.

Supposedly you can move the pins around to make the switches work in model years that are different from the car the switch came out of. I cannot verify that and haven’t tried it .

Yea, it is only two wires that need to be moved. I know it was the black wire and the red wire, but I can't specifically remember where the pins needed to be moved. If you find a 90+ Mustang, just cut out the hard shell connector so you have the wire layout, and move the pins in your connector accordingly. That is what I did when I put a 93 multifunction switch in my 88. Personally, I like it better. It sticks out a little further and seems to be located a little closer to the steeringwheel.

Before you replace the switch, you might want to look at the hardshell connector first. The little clips that hold the terminal ends in the connector tend to get brittle and break, allowing the wire to slide out and not make good contact. I would pull the switch off and see if any of the wires have come loose first.