Mustang factories

jt14894

Apr 6, 2005
Florida
Anybody know where the Mustangs are built?
I feel like going over there and telling them to HURRY UP! I can't wait any longer! :bang:
Just kidding. But really, I'd like to know where they build them. If anybody knows.

• Sponsors (?)

jt14894 said:
Anybody know where the Mustangs are built?
I feel like going over there and telling them to HURRY UP! I can't wait any longer! :bang:
Just kidding. But really, I'd like to know where they build them. If anybody knows.
AAI. The Auto Aliance plant in (I think Flat Rock Michigan) I got to tour the plant with my father in law last year the day after job one on the 05 stangs. It was something I will never forget. It is also shared with Mazda, the same line the mustangs are being built on, there is also Mazda 6's.

Concur..>Flat Rock, MI... Mazda facility with Stangs.. God knows I never thought I would see the day that a Rotory Engine facility would share a production and tooling line with a Mustang....

Times have changed.....

Jenn

jvm051 said:
AAI. The Auto Aliance plant in (I think Flat Rock Michigan) I got to tour the plant with my father in law last year the day after job one on the 05 stangs. It was something I will never forget. It is also shared with Mazda, the same line the mustangs are being built on, there is also Mazda 6's.

Jenns05Stang said:
Concur..>Flat Rock, MI... Mazda facility with Stangs.. God knows I never thought I would see the day that a Rotory Engine facility would share a production and tooling line with a Mustang....

Times have changed.....

Jenn

Thanks for the info. I'm heading up there right now! :spot:
I'd love to take a tour of that plant.
Maybe they can use an extra hand building my car.
Wouldn't that be sweet! Taking a tour and being there to watch as they build your car.

Jenns05Stang said:

Times have changed.....

Jenn

Mazda rotary engines are not manufactured at Flat Rock.

Flat rock is a final assembly plant, not an engine or transmission plant.

351CJ said:
Mazda rotary engines are not manufactured at Flat Rock.

Flat rock is a final assembly plant, not an engine or transmission plant.

My understanding is that the 4.0L engines are built in Germany and the transmissions in France (AOD). And just to clarify, I did not say manufacturing :D ...I said production and tooling......My dad was an aerospace engineer and a machinist. I spent years with my pop behind a lathe & mill, even up to his death in 1996, we were running parts for our own business "White's Ultra Precision Machining".

I find it amazing that vehicles that are so substantially different can be produced and have finish tooling completed in the same facility....... I can understand a production and tooling line set for say Ford Explorer/Mercury Moutaineer/Lincoln Navigator/Ford Expedition, etc.

I have not read much about the facility other than Ford put millions into the assembly line/production/tooling/computer aided assembly and training employees. I do not know if they are separate lines producing and tooling for final assembly at the same time, or if it is a split shift, break-down and reset system.. Running a Mazada 6 or 8 off the same line as a Mustang, just seems, foreign to my bitty little brain.

Jenn

Does anyone know how long it takes to have your 05 delivered after it is built?? Mine is scheduled for the build week of July 18th, and I live in dearborn, MI...so i figure it shouldn't take too exessively long to be shipped from flat rock. Anyone??????????????

one50npump said:
Does anyone know if they do factory tours there?? I am going to Detroit for business and my vert is supposed to be built this week.. would love to see it on the line.
They do not give tours. My father-in-law at the time was a vendor for adhesives that are used on the Mustang. He was checking on his product and brought me in with him. My Mother-in-law is a engineer for Ford also. That same day she got to bring home one of the test mules (back in Sept of last year.) I resisted the temptation this long and finally convinced the wife to let me trade in my Toyota 4runner that I have only owned for less than 2 years. I previously owned a 65 and a 93 stang and after the 05's were announced the fever hit. It took almost an entire year of convincing before the wife caved in and let me order a 06 GT. Now I wait.

eromzek said:
Does anyone know how long it takes to have your 05 delivered after it is built?? Mine is scheduled for the build week of July 18th, and I live in dearborn, MI...so i figure it shouldn't take too exessively long to be shipped from flat rock. Anyone??????????????
It depends on when your car is finished in relation to other cars that are also staying in the area. It could take a day. It could take over a week.
Do a search on TheMustangSource for the info. There was a lot of talk about it back when they first came out. You may even try looking for people on there that are from Dearborn and ask them how long theirs took.

It seems as if there may be some light at the end of the tunnel for the GT's. I just talked to a dealer about 5 days ago & they said that due to the demand for the GT and lack of production, Ford is re-tooling the Taurus plant to increase the production on the Mustang GT's. When this takes place, I am not sure, but it seems it may be closer to the 06 production year.
This is from a reliable dealer, but it is from a dealer no less so take it for what it is worth.

eromzek said:

My car arrived at Butman ford in Ypsilanti, 3 days after it was built, at flat rock. Yours shouldn't take maore than a couple of days, but it all depends on the availabilty of trucks to carry them.

Stangnut said:
No they don't do tours except for special circumstances. (like what was mentioned above)

Ford really needs to add some "web cams" around the factory. No safety concerns, and customer can still see their baby go down the line. :nice:

Stangnut said:
It depends on when your car is finished in relation to other cars that are also staying in the area. It could take a day. It could take over a week.
Do a search on TheMustangSource for the info. There was a lot of talk about it back when they first came out. You may even try looking for people on there that are from Dearborn and ask them how long theirs took.

My build date was 6/20 and when I called my dealer they estimated that it would be here in mid July. :(

Jenns05Stang said:
My understanding is that the 4.0L engines are built in Germany and the transmissions in France (AOD). And just to clarify, I did not say manufacturing :D ...I said production and tooling......My dad was an aerospace engineer and a machinist. I spent years with my pop behind a lathe & mill, even up to his death in 1996, we were running parts for our own business "White's Ultra Precision Machining".

I find it amazing that vehicles that are so substantially different can be produced and have finish tooling completed in the same facility....... I can understand a production and tooling line set for say Ford Explorer/Mercury Moutaineer/Lincoln Navigator/Ford Expedition, etc.

I have not read much about the facility other than Ford put millions into the assembly line/production/tooling/computer aided assembly and training employees. I do not know if they are separate lines producing and tooling for final assembly at the same time, or if it is a split shift, break-down and reset system.. Running a Mazada 6 or 8 off the same line as a Mustang, just seems, foreign to my bitty little brain.

Jenn

You may understand precision machiningg, but you have a lot to learn about modern automobile assembly lines.

Although the Japanese seem to get all the credit for "flexible" assembly lines, Ford had been doing this for many years. At one time (1999) Ford's Wixom assembly plant built the Town Car - RWD Body on frame, The Continental - FWD Unibody and the Lincoln LS - RWD Unibody all on the same assembly line. The 3 different cars would come down the line intermixed, 3 Town Cars, 2 LSs and a Continental, then 3 more TCs, 3 more LSs and another Continental. (actually IIRC Wixom did this years earlier with the Mark VIII, TC and Continental, possibly as far back as 1994).

With a modern line assembling Mustangs and Mazda 6s on the same line is not that big a deal.

At the time of original production of the 05 Ford was capable of producing something like 197,000 mustangs a year, but the demand has been so overwhelming they are bringing the production numbers up for the 06 by bringing another plant online (not sure which one dont have the article in front of me) probably why some of those on the waitlist for an 05 have been told they may get an 06. According to the article the powers that be debated bringing the other factory online for the 05 production year because of demand but that idea was eventually tabled in favor of increasing production for 06.

ANGELMAV said:
At the time of original production of the 05 Ford was capable of producing something like 197,000 mustangs a year, but the demand has been so overwhelming they are bringing the production numbers up for the 06 by bringing another plant online (not sure which one dont have the article in front of me) probably why some of those on the waitlist for an 05 have been told they may get an 06. According to the article the powers that be debated bringing the other factory online for the 05 production year because of demand but that idea was eventually tabled in favor of increasing production for 06.

This is NOT correct. Ford is NOT bringing another plant on line for the 06 Mustang and they are NOT significantly increasing production for the 06.

Unless sales drop, 06 production will be somewhat higher than the 05 because the 06 will have a 12 month production year (05 will be 11 months) and it took almost 2 months after the start of 05 production to ramp up to full production rate.

351CJ said:
You may understand precision machiningg, but you have a lot to learn about modern automobile assembly lines.

Although the Japanese seem to get all the credit for "flexible" assembly lines, Ford had been doing this for many years. At one time (1999) Ford's Wixom assembly plant built the Town Car - RWD Body on frame, The Continental - FWD Unibody and the Lincoln LS - RWD Unibody all on the same assembly line. The 3 different cars would come down the line intermixed, 3 Town Cars, 2 LSs and a Continental, then 3 more TCs, 3 more LSs and another Continental. (actually IIRC Wixom did this years earlier with the Mark VIII, TC and Continental, possibly as far back as 1994).

With a modern line assembling Mustangs and Mazda 6s on the same line is not that big a deal.

:nice: Thanks. See, I can learn something new everyday. :cheers:

Any place I can read more on the modern automotive assembly line? I would like to see how they do that... :hail2: ...

Thanks again.... I love to learn, so I always keep an open mind. It would appear that I have a lot to learn in general, Sir. I am still "Under Construction". :)

Jennifer